Overclock.net banner

Phenom II X4 955BE Too Hot

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  WildEast 
#1 ·
Hey, guys. I just upgraded my CPU, and I bought a cheaper aftermarket cooler for it. For some reason, without OCing at all, I get an idle temperature of about 48 degrees, and when all cores are under 100% load it shoots up to 62 degrees pretty quickly. Once it's at 62, it doesn't hang or shut down or anything.

So I have two questions:

1. Is there something that I'm doing wrong that's causing the temperatures to be so high?

2. Is it possible that I have a broken sensor, causing it to give me false readings?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Try and re-apply the thermal paste and reseat the cooler. My stock HSF idles at about 40 degrees. Sensors usually aren't bad. At least none of them were on the 3 955s I've bought in the last 2 years.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchlaf;12469052
Try and re-apply the thermal paste and reseat the cooler. My stock HSF idles at about 40 degrees.
I actually just did that. I did have too much paste on it originally, but I cleaned it up and reapplied a much smaller amount. It made a difference, but not a big one.

#5 ·
Hmm, First of all you should allow some time until the thermal paste is cured.

A broken sensor usually do not measure temps to a sensible value however most temp sensors, you can give or take -5 to +5 C.

And regarding the shut down , If I am correct, you can set the temp you want it to shut down in bios. Its usually set between 85-100 C depending on the motherboard.
The cpu does not shut itself down at that temperature. Its the max safe temp rated by AMD.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn;12469063
More than likely, you mounted the cooler incorrectly. Remove the cooler, clean off all the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, reapply new thermal paste (grain of rice size in the center), and then remount the cooler.

What aftermarket cooler was it, btw?
It's a Cooler Master Vortex Plus.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildEast;12469113
i bought one 3 days ago, and i get ~36-37 at idle @3.4ghz with stock cooler and without a thermal paste, i guess you better re install the cooler
You didn't use any thermal paste?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.