Overclock.net banner

Decided to open my EK FC 5870...

850 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tsm106 
#1 ·
So before I put my loop together I decided to take apart my 5870 block- since I bought it used.

I see this. Is this normal or should I clean it? It looks like a white film of some sort.. If I should clean it, whats the best way to clean a nickle plated block??

DSC05492.jpg

DSC05493.jpg

Update:
Decided to just wipe a small bit to see if it comes off. Heres what the difference is. Im guessing to clean it?
IMG_20110317_172002.jpg

See less See more
#5 ·
Quote:
Le sigh, seems to be another EK nickel issue.

Open up a support ticket with them, send pictures.

They should give you a RMA so long as you didn't use any PTNuke or additives.
I dont see any sort of nickle flaking off or anything.. Plus the guy I bought it from didnt even get to use it because he broke a cap off his pcb on the gpu while installing. So he sold it to me. So I dont think its ever been used.

How could it be another EK plating issue? Its just a film or residue.

#9 ·
A soft cloth with distilled water will do the job, I'd probably only use alcohol for the stubborn areas where its crusted on etc. It actually looks to be in pretty good condition just be cafeful when you put the rubber o-ring back on, I'd test it out of the case for leaks first, When you know the o-ring is installed correctly then put the card back on

#10 ·
Quote:

Why'd you open it? Getting the o-ring back on is mother of a jobber. Careful you don't pinch the o-ring and cut it.

I took it apart because I did hear about the nickle issue EK has had, so I wanted to make sure. If it was an acrylic top I would have been able to see first

Thats the easy part. I already got it back in place. Ill just rinse the o-ring and take them out, and use rubbing alcohol and a towel to clean it.

thanks guys for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.