Overclock.net banner

What Can This PSU handle?

774 views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Plex 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

My 2 shipments from Ebay came in so I opened them up to see what was inside.

The first one has a Q6600, 4GB Ram, HD 3650 etc.

And the 2nd one has a AMD Phenom X3 Triple-Core 8550, onboard graphics, 3GB ram etc.

Both seem to have this PSU installed:

So my question is, what gpu can this thing handle? The plan is to get a video card off kijiji or somewhere and put it into these 2 computers, but I don't know what card to get.

Before I got the computers I was planning on getting something like a 5770, but I don't know what these psu's are capable of.

So please, PSU Gurus, help me out?

See less See more
#5 ·
It's a pretty basic, low end FSP with stacks of power on the 3.3v and 5v rails. Even if it's in perfect condition, it's an old design.
In my opinion, the best this PSU can handle is being a doorstop or paperweight, and it may fail at that. It can quite probably handle what it's plugged into right now, but I'd be very cautious about any upgrades.

#6 ·
300W? Well, your mobo and drives and IGB will be happy ....

Seriously though, get rid of that thing, the 5770 needs more than that for the entire system

#7 ·
Does it even have a 6pin for the 5770?
if not then it surely has only 300watts or less.

The HD3650 will be alright since its low power, but replace the psu on whichever pc you'll be using with a 5770
Song Lyrics
Philippines Web Hosting

• Rep+
Reactions: shibbiness
#8 ·
That was fast haha.
Well I don't really want to put a lot of money into these things, would something like this be fine for the systems along with a 5770, or a GTX 275:

http://canadacomputers.com/product_i...item_id=032795

If not, what would you guys suggest from Canada Computers if my budget was fairly low?

#9 ·
CX430 is a pretty decent unit for low-end machines like these. In fact, it's pretty perfect. Phaedrus has a thread on sub $50 PSUs and his recommended 5, go look there, and you'll find the CX430 on that list, as well as other options (mainly Antecs).

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nbmjhk6
View Post

Nope you need a new PSU for a 5770. I wouldnt trust that thing...

Wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primus
View Post

Pretty much what those systems contain. It's absolute garbage.

I mean, max maybe a PII X2 with a 9800GT, microATX mobo, and 2GB ram.

Wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti!!
View Post

No sir that psu wont power more than what you have mentioned in the OP.

Wrong

Ugh.

It's a decent low-end unit. The system with the X3 can probably take a 5770. The one with the Q6600, I'd be a little more wary, the Q6000 series took a lot of power.

But for reference, my step-dad's rig with a Phenom X4 9850, a 5770, and 8GB of RAM is being powered by a Delta Electronics 350W.

• Rep+
Reactions: shibbiness
#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dklimitless
View Post

300W? Well, your mobo and drives and IGB will be happy ....

Seriously though, get rid of that thing, the 5770 needs more than that for the entire system

Seriously? The 5770 takes like 80W-100W while gaming, 120W under Furmark.

#12 ·
Does it even have a 6pin for the 5770?
if not then it surely has only 300watts or less.

The HD3650 will be alright since its low power, but replace the psu on whichever pc you'll be using with a 5770
Ayala Land Premier

#13 ·
And 120w is 10a, which the second 12a rail can provide. If these units are in good condition, they could handle a 5770. But I'd still be cautious, if you have a DMM (digital multi meter) then check out the voltages, and look over the PSUs for any obvious damage or leaking caps.
They are an old design and spec, I'd expect them to be several years old, which is why I am cautious.

#14 ·
yep that coolermaster 430w is more than enough, and that way you'll have a choice of adding another harddrive or optical drive
Best website
Ayala Condo

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129

It's a decent low-end unit. The system with the X3 can probably take a 5770. The one with the Q6600, I'd be a little more wary, the Q6000 series took a lot of power.

But for reference, my step-dad's rig with a Phenom X4 9850, a 5770, and 8GB of RAM is being powered by a Delta Electronics 350W.

He has a 300w psu. I have a 430 w antec in one right now that wont even sli 8600gts without starving for power. It would be unwise to say yes it will power what he wants.

And for you to be so arrogant and just say wrong, wrong, wrong is not the OCN way. I dare say you need to be a little more careful with how you just undermind peoples opinion. If we are wrong that's fine but do not be a prick about it.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti!!;13205750
He has a 300w psu. I have a 430 w antec in one right now that wont even sli 8600gts without starving for power. It would be unwise to say yes it will power what he wants.

And for you to be so arrogant and just say wrong, wrong, wrong is not the OCN way. I dare say you need to be a little more careful with how you just undermind peoples opinion. If we are wrong that's fine but do not be a prick about it.
If a 430W is struggling to run a pair of 8600GTS then there's something wrong with it, or it isn't the PSU.

Sorry if I come across as a bit of an a-hole at times, but there's legitimately so much misinformation, paranoia, and insanity being spread around as PSU advice, I don't have time to be nice and polite and write a careful explanation of my refutation for every case of bad advice. If I did that I'd never leave the computer and still wouldn't get to it all.

And when I see a triple hitter like that, I'm not going to write out a full response to each, because then they'll come back and I'll have three arguments to argue at the same time. Again, I don't want to spend my whole life arguing power supplies with people who don't know a volt from an ampere.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xXwhygodwhyXx
View Post

lmao 300 watts? lol nothing good.

Why nothing good? Your rig consumes less than 300w.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.