Overclock.net banner

What parts to buy?

466 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  t-ramp 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Im completely new to watercooling, i had a complete set once i got for extremely cheap locally but sold it instead of using it. Im interested in getting into the game but if i do i want to go all the way. CPU block, GPU block and potentially a ram block (aesthetics reasons only
, obviously depending on price).

I want it to be mostly internal (rad outside??) and would rather not have it sound like a jet engine

Price isnt a huge deal (its all about the price/performance ratio, ill gladly pay double the price for double the performance) but i dont like overpaying for shiny things and im not made of money. I just like getting best bang for buck. So please shoot some suggestions my way.

Thanks

(Note, my specs will be staying exactly the same other then the gpu, if im buying a gpu block i will definitely get a new gpu first, any suggestions in that department would be pretty nice too, and again its all about price performance, im down to drop seirous cash but i dont want it to be worthless in 6 months (aka no top range cards)).

See less See more
#2 ·
For a broke ass student, I recommend the XSPC Rasa 750 kit, which has high recommendation in OCN.

For US$189: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsra750rxwak1.html
For US$170: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsra750rxwak.html

The main difference is the radiator (RX360 vs RX240).
I would suggest the higher price set as it is only $19 more and this brings higher performance and lower noise.

For the 240 rad, it can definitely be fit internally. For the 360 rad , I think you can also fit it internally (in the front of your Antec 1200).
Reference link:http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...rad-their.html

#3 ·
That's way cheaper then I was expecting. Broke ass student is relative though. I'm willing to spend the money I just like getting best bang for Buck. Ie if I found an amazing deal on a 6990 for like $500 I'd still buy it even though I was only looking to spend 250 ish on a gpu. With that being said do you still think those are good to look into? (I'd definitely go the 360 way as well)

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh;13226102
That's way cheaper then I was expecting. Broke ass student is relative though. I'm willing to spend the money I just like getting best bang for Buck. Ie if I found an amazing deal on a 6990 for like $500 I'd still buy it even though I was only looking to spend 250 ish on a gpu. With that being said do you still think those are good to look into? (I'd definitely go the 360 way as well)
Yes, if the performance-price-ratio is concerned.
The 2 chief components of the loop are the CPU block and the radiator.
For the CPU block, it is not the absolute top performer. That crown goes to EK Supreme HF. But the best-bang-for-buck must go to the Rasa block.

For the RX360, it is also a fairly good radiator.
Check out Skinnee's review here:-
http://skinneelabs.com/triple-radiator-comparison-v2/4/

Lastly, this 678-page thread shows its strong club in OCN here:-
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/882408-official-xspc-rasa-750-rs-rx120-678.html

#5 ·
Lol that's a lot of support for a single Rad. Both look solid thanks.
A couple more questions. Should I get a Res? And if so why? What is the difference between different sizes of res's and what's the point in the first place? To keep air in the res?

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh;13226189
Lol that's a lot of support for a single Rad. Both look solid thanks.
A couple more questions. Should I get a Res? And if so why? What is the difference between different sizes of res's and what's the point in the first place? To keep air in the res?
The Rasa kit comes with a res already. So, you do not have to buy one.

Its main purpose is for you to fill the loop easily. It also act as a point in the loop where air can be flushed out. Additionally, it should be placed right before a pump to ensure distilled water/coolant is fed to the pump without interruption (ie to avoid damaging the pump).

#7 ·
Well now I'm in rapid fire question mide lol.

What about kit vs custom? Any advantages to custom?

Also what about tubing size?

And barbs/fittings. I remember seeing them range in price quite a bit. What's the difference between then? (Other than size obviously)

Thanks for your help

#8 ·
The Rasa kit is effectively custom. I personally am not impressed by their pumps because they remind me of problem pumps from my days of aquariums, but it's really an unfounded belief. The DDC and D5 Laing pumps are incredibly popular and sold by most mainstream companies in each company's own "flavor." You can't go wrong with any of these choices though. The Rasa kit is a steal. I just went custom because I found a fantastic used deal on the forums for about the same price as a Rasa kit for much better equipment.

For tubing, go with 7/16" Primoflex tubing in your color of choice. The 7/16" is very tight on 1/2" barbs that most people use these days (oh yea, use 1/2" ID barbs
tongue.gif
) so it adds a layer of safety because of it's tightness. I also put worm-drive clamps on my tubing for extra extra safety.

For barbs, standard 1/2" ID barbs are always good and easy to come by. If you don't want to mess with clamps and would rather have a cleaner look and don't mind spending a few more $$ up front, you can get Compression fittings, which are basically a barb and clamp built together, and are very effective if properly installed/used.

#9 ·
You made it all the way to the WC forum without reading any of it?
rolleyes.gif

The RASA kit will not, however, solve your GPU block problems, as it only comes with a CPU block. I would not recommend the XSPC kit water block for the GPU, though, as a full cover block is a much better (and better looking) choice, cooling vram in addition to the processor just like most stock heatsinks do. Once again, EK is the common top dog, but there are different blocks for each card from great companies such as Danger Den and Koolance.

I think a GTX 480 benefits the most when under water, as you remove its two largest drawbacks (noise/heat) and elevate the overhead in one mod. I see them going pretty cheap lately($250, $300 with a Waterblock). I may be biased, though.

Just do some research, it's all here.
helpinghand.gif

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh;13226254
Well now I'm in rapid fire question mide lol.

What about kit vs custom? Any advantages to custom?

Also what about tubing size?

And barbs/fittings. I remember seeing them range in price quite a bit. What's the difference between then? (Other than size obviously)

Thanks for your help
A custom setup just allows more flexibility to pick every component, for aesthetic purpose and for even more performance (at a higher cost).
And, some people just consider the choosing process as part of the fun, I suppose.

Tubing size: The 3 most common sizes are ID ½'' , 7/16'' and 3/8''. Americans tend to use a larger size like ½'' or 7/16'' while Germans tend to use a smaller size like 7/16'' or 3/8''. XSPC puts 7/16'' ID tubings with its Rasa kit, most likely as a good business move to capture both the American and European markets.

Barbs/Fittings: just as what Dr.GumbyM.D. said. Basically the most basic and simple ones cost less while the more complex (offering more convenience) ones cost more.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytehawk;13226385
You made it all the way to the WC forum without reading any of it?
rolleyes.gif

The RASA kit will not, however, solve your GPU block problems, as it only comes with a CPU block. I would not recommend the XSPC kit water block for the GPU, though, as a full cover block is a much better (and better looking) choice, cooling vram in addition to the processor just like most stock heatsinks do. Once again, EK is the common top dog, but there are different blocks for each card from great companies such as Danger Den and Koolance.

I think a GTX 480 benefits the most when under water, as you remove its two largest drawbacks (noise/heat) and elevate the overhead in one mod. I see them going pretty cheap lately($250, $300 with a Waterblock). I may be biased, though.

Just do some research, it's all here.
helpinghand.gif
Awesome thanks alot guys.

To be honest i honestly didnt read very much before posting this. Its alot easier to research stuff when you have a few things to look at first. Why waste hours of searching looking for things when i can make a post specialized to what i know and have all you helpful people respond? Now the research process is going to take way less time and be alot easier
smile.gif

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh;13228742
Awesome thanks alot guys.

To be honest i honestly didnt read very much before posting this. Its alot easier to research stuff when you have a few things to look at first. Why waste hours of searching looking for things when i can make a post specialized to what i know and have all you helpful people respond? Now the research process is going to take way less time and be alot easier
smile.gif
I'm just being a PITA:thumb: I'm sure we've all done it at least once when getting into something new, not to mention most of your ?'s getting answers in 3 hours or less

#13 ·
Just curious as I saw the fittings/barbs topic be here, trying not to thread hi-jack, but how many barbs or fittings do you need total for a custom loop? It's the only part of WC I have a trouble to understand lol and I'm pretty bright usually.

Edit: CPU only loop with 1 rad.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse;13229667
Just curious as I saw the fittings/barbs topic be here, trying not to thread hi-jack, but how many barbs or fittings do you need total for a custom loop? It's the only part of WC I have a trouble to understand lol and I'm pretty bright usually.

Edit: CPU only loop with 1 rad.
You'll need a fitting wherever there's an inlet and outlet. Usually each component only has 2. Rad requires 2, res 2, cpu block 2, GPU block usually 2, mobo block 2, pump 2, etc.

Sometimes you can have the pump and reservoir combined (rasa 750 kit, or res-top for pump) therefore you only need 2 fittings for them combined.

The Rasa 750 kit provides all the fittings necessary, however if you add a GPU block, be sure to buy 2 more barbs or compression fittings.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytehawk;13229544
I'm just being a PITA:thumb: I'm sure we've all done it at least once when getting into something new, not to mention most of your ?'s getting answers in 3 hours or less
Lol ya the super quick answers are always nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian;13229882
You'll need a fitting wherever there's an inlet and outlet. Usually each component only has 2. Rad requires 2, res 2, cpu block 2, GPU block 2, mobo block 2, pump 2, etc.

Sometimes you can have the pump and reservoir combined (rasa 750 kit, or res-top for pump) therefore you only need 2 fittings for them combined.

The Rasa 750 kit provides all the fittings necessary, however if you add a GPU block, be sure to buy 2 more barbs or compression fittings.
This leads me to another question
rolleyes.gif

What sequence is best. Most important to least important?

So pump->CPU->GPU->RAD->RES->pump?

And i doubt i will buy the rasa kit to be honest. Im not in much of a hurry and enjoy parting stuff together anyways so ill probably be picking parts up slowly off the bst forum.

I really want one of these though : Helix Res
But thats a bit too much money to spend for aesthetic reasons only lol.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by arekieh
View Post

What sequence is best. Most important to least important?

So pump->CPU->GPU->RAD->RES->pump?

It doesn't matter much as long as you can be sure the pump is receiving a constant flow of water. Usually you want to have the reservoir right before the pump to achieve this. Of course, with a reservoir/pump combo it's not an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arekieh
View Post

I really want one of these though : Helix Res
But thats a bit too much money to spend for aesthetic reasons only lol.

Then get it! They look awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.