Posts by PCCstudent

Yo Hertz, keep it in mind that it is nice to be nice to those that are also nice. What kind of debates are you speaking of? "Nice debating" has never been frowned on here.Your use of an "emotion" did not make your comment any "nicer". Hearing some engouragement to keep up the folding (like the big number producers get) would have been "nice", but NO all you had time for was a dig.
Since I have mentioned it a couple of times perhaps another member recalls part of my story. All I have ever managed to buy strictly for folding was an I7-970. I paid good money to another member but I feel I got what I paid for. Lately I had been getting blue screens (I use an ASUS P6X58D-Preminum). I was sure the chip was soon to go belly up. Well it turns out the problem was the motherboard. I do not know if others have priced this P6X58 but it was right around 270. No ...
Hello wevsspot, I want to thank you for your information. I will look over all three choices you gave me very carefully. Thank You +rep
I just purchased my last P6X58D-Preminum, no more X58 gear. I need to also buy memory. I ask if I can get a recommendation involving a memory purchase that would work well in the P6X58D-Preminum but when I am done with the X58 work (folding)can also be used with a socket 1155 board. I have previously used Corsair Dominator 1333Mhz memory sticks on my X58 boards. I want something faster but still compatible with both the X58 board and a socket 1155 board. My 1155 board...
Hello Zagen. Can you give a hardware price comparison on the fast 4p rig and the 780Ti GPU? I have a strong feeling that the 780Ti is going to come out way cheaper. Putting points aside. Will the research suffer if a majority of folders move to gpu (for what is appearing to be benefits in just about every area) and leave poor paying smp work undone? Is it likely the BA rigs will get sold off or is it likely their owners will simply take what is offered and run regular smp?
It appears no cheap(er) way to roll with a 32 core requirement. If it went to 32 cores it would truly divide the community. I can see strong reasons to pull back from 32 and make it 24. I conclude 24 cores can be made in the $3,500 per rig cost range. If you did run smp on your 4p BA rig what kind of ppd will you see? What could a 4p BA rig pull down running smp? Perhaps a cheaper 2p should be the right balance for a smp rig. I have seen some 1,500 (or less) price tags...
I was wondering. If the 32 core rule did stay in effect or at sometime comes into effect what are some ways to come up with 32 cores? I just bet the answer is going to be using some AMD server cpu's but I do not know for sure. Any cost estimate on a 32 core rig?
One could get into "hair splitting" mode with this numbers thing. That being said it does serve a purpose to attach numbers to the issue. As stated my electricity is inclusive but there is a cost savings realized because I do not use heat because of the computers running. I do realize the seasons change and the savings I realize in the winter are more than offset by extra cooling costs in the summer. I do think it is good that you are including others parameters in your...
I read the second table (the one referenced by you at a 16.00 savings per year). I did not see the initial cost difference used in the "good" and "bad" (in terms of efficiency) power supplies factored in. In all fairness it probably would only take 2 years at the most to pay for the more efficient power supply (that is if you trust all the figures). The entire point is moot if your situation is like mine (inclusive electricity with cost of rent). Of course this "moot...
Hello Mrfajita. Are you explaining my "mystery heat" observation by your "best efficiency at half load" statement? Thanks EDIT: the 620W I mention was probably close to being out of its efficiency range at the top end and the 1000W is probably out at the low end. I do not see being out of the efficiency curve as an explanation for the observed extra heat output on the 620W, the difference was/is very dramatic.