Posts by Kramy

I use the 9.25 alpha. It's the most stable, as far as I can tell. 9.20 doesn't properly support Windows 8.I've been using 7-zip for years primarily because WinRAR had trouble opening archives. Maybe it's improved now, but around 2005-2009 it fell severely behind in speed and compression ratios. RAR compression still isn't as good as the 7z, a decade later. The new LZMA2 method is often even more compact.Never had a corrupt 7z archive, short of it being on a failing medium....
It's rather sad that after all these years, such an important feature still hasn't been implemented. I agree, ACG has volume levels all over the place. Still not fixed in 1.2.7. My vent host recently shuffled everyone over to Mumble servers - I'm finding this missing feature quite limiting.
Yeah, the main ports are usually faster - even back when it was Intel SATA2 vs Marvell SATA3.You shave off .1 to .2ms and get an extra MB/sec or so. Very slight, but it does end up faster. It's a neat and very compact product, but the Windows drivers kinda kill it. No cross-OS compatibility means... recovery tools won't function if you ever need them, for example.It's priced very high, the SSD is about on par with one of the slowest Crucial drives, if that... I don't...
Depends on the coin. Same version as you, but it shows as 0C for some reason.What Catalyst drivers are you on? 14-4?I'll try out Afterburner and report back later.
Yeah, no kidding. Was that before or after flashing the newest firmware? I know they corrected a lot of sleep bugs along the way.I know someone that lost a Sandforce SF-2281 drive on the newest firmware to a sleep bug (dropped from BIOS and was RMA'd - he had a backup, so not the end of the world...) - but I saw his old spinner before he upgraded it, and it had about 17000 power ons for a 4-5 year old laptop. That's almost 12 sleeps per day! Regardless, he was not...
First one kept dropping out during Windows install. Finally got it installed in IDE mode (ick) then used the usual procedure to flip to AHCI mode. It was fine after that.Second one BSOD'd and disappeared. Boot Disk Failure, etc.; bringing it back was easy, since I had plenty of experience from my OCZ SSDs. Told the person over the phone to unplug their computer's power from the wall, press the power button a few times, wait 5 minutes, then hook it back up and power it on....
I don't trust TLC drives. My OCZ TLC drives were buggy from the start. Samsung's are better, but of the two people that I know that bought Samsung Evos, they both had minor issues that required calling me for assistance. Not rock solid stable, though certainly fast! Unfortunately for Samsung, I value reliability over speed, and also price over speed. The other big problem - Samsung has terrible RMA service in Canada. They run you around in circles between different...
Known 0.5% failure rates would be a reason. (Reliability!) That's only 10x better than a reliable hard drive, and 50x better than an unreliable one.http://blog.backblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/blog-survival-drives-by-month.jpgFor home use you generally go large and cheap, but until the 16nm NAND has been out there for a while, all my business customers are getting super reliable M500's. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig. OCZ bit me once when I picked up a...
Looking good. Where do you live?Crucial, which makes some of the most reliable SSDs out there, just released a new line...512GB for $200 in the US - I am envious! http://www.overclock.net/t/1494260/amazon-crucial-mx100-512gb-199-w-prime-oos-atm-back-to-219/0_100They also have M500 240GB models for about $120-130 on sale. Quite reasonable.With SSDs everyone seems to focus on the benchmarks and speed, but most SSDs are pretty similar for desktop and gaming use. They're all...
You could - but from what I've heard and seen, they seem to be the same drive internally. Just slightly different firmware, model number, and warranty duration. Unlike past Blacks (and larger Blacks), they don't have aggressive seeking.If your current drive is healthy, you could use either of them as your OS drive. (Although I actually lean towards having an SSD for your OS drive.)