Posts by Kramy

I'm sure that Seagate drives refuse incorrect firmware, and I'm sure that they put out updates to fix issues rather than introduce them.That makes me think that it's unrelated. Firmware update has nothing to do with that bad sector.Rest easy, claim warranty.
Not your mistake. We're in agreement that firmware won't cause a bad sector. Just typical Seagate quality. Thanks for the tip, Nukemaster! That's way more legible!
Looks like the M8BP2 is just a renamed ST1000LM024? I don't think you installed anything incorrect - unless you used some cryptic overwrite cmdline switch, it'll refuse the wrong firmware. Not very likely that the bad sector was caused by the firmware. More likely to be a drive defect.
SeaTools has a Fix All -> Long diagnostic that can be run from Windows, even on OS drives I believe? Wouldn't be a bad idea to run that as well.The latest version of SeaTools is usually listed under the downloads for a specific drive:https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.htmlIf it were my own drive, I'd ultimately replace it - but my profession has advanced from a few years ago, so now I have that luxury. (I'm currently running a mixture of 512GB/1TB SSDs and WD 4TB...
What matters is the speed that your drive is picking up new bad sectors. If it sits at 1, it may not get any worse. I had some old Samsung PATA drives that picked up 2-3 almost immediately... worked for years and didn't go further. Since Seagate bought out Samsung's tech a while ago, it wouldn't surprise me if they picked up a few of the same quirks. I think you'll just have to keep an eye on it - check it every week or two to make sure it hasn't gone up.CrystalDiskInfo is...
I got the Home version + Workstation + PC Transfer Pro for $29.96 CAD. http://www.promopro.com/merchant-EaseUS-coupons-deals-22543.html Apparently a few days ago the Home version was COMPLETELY FREE for 24 hours. I missed it! Edit: http://www.todo-backup.com/giveaway/dottech-tbh.htm
I'm more interested in the Workstation version - it has a recover to dissimilar hardware feature! Costs $50 for two copies, though.
I wish your HDD reported more useful SMART stats. The only one listed that looks worrying is UDMA CRC Error Count - it's incredibly high! Usually that happens when a cable goes bad, but for laptops (which usually plug in direct) I'm not sure what you can replace? Sometimes the stat is caused by a controller going bad - either on the drive (replaceable) or the motherboard. (replaceable under warranty)Do you have AHCI drivers installed? Intel RST, or other? Lately I've seen...
I use the 9.25 alpha. It's the most stable, as far as I can tell. 9.20 doesn't properly support Windows 8.I've been using 7-zip for years primarily because WinRAR had trouble opening archives. Maybe it's improved now, but around 2005-2009 it fell severely behind in speed and compression ratios. RAR compression still isn't as good as the 7z, a decade later. The new LZMA2 method is often even more compact.Never had a corrupt 7z archive, short of it being on a failing medium....
It's rather sad that after all these years, such an important feature still hasn't been implemented. I agree, ACG has volume levels all over the place. Still not fixed in 1.2.7. My vent host recently shuffled everyone over to Mumble servers - I'm finding this missing feature quite limiting.