Posts by auricgoldfinger

Thanks for the input. I figured out what the problem was--when I turned off my other pc all of a sudden it behaved normally. Seems there was some cross-wire interference. Still wonder why I couldn't force X to adhere to a given display mode though.I was advised to use the intel driver installer but it requires dependancies that exceed the versions allowed. Not sure if that's something I should force or not. I am using debian.
I see, that makes sense. Not heard a peep out of the machine so far, but can feel the ventilation at the back (sometimes). I'm having a hell of a time getting it to work with my television though--my new monitor doesn't arrive until wednesday. I don't know if it's because the machine is faulty (I bought a pre-owned to skimp on some money) or if my old tv is misreporting edid output, or if it's a dodgy hdmi cable, but at the tv's native, preferred resolution 95% of the...
Thanks. Since I posted though I went and bought a prebuilt--not actually fanless, but hopefully quiet enough. I can always return it if it doesn't do what I want. Might look into building my own config in the meantime but I needed something on short notice. If TDP is what matters where thermal output is concerned then the i5-4210U has half the TDP of the processor you recommended. Maybe I could just turn the fans off? Might void the warranty though... it's a pity...
Assuming I'm not gaming and am happy to compromise on frame-rate or colour depth, what is the minimum embedded graphics on a fanless cpu that could drive two WQHD displays?
Is there such a thing as a monitor stand with a second VESA mount behind it? You know, like if I wanted to mount a mountable PC like the gigabyte brix without the monitor falling over.
It used to be that after setting 'listen to this device' in my microphone's properties, it would appear in the volume mixer for the selected device. However now there is no slider for the microphone, despite looking at the correct device and it is definitely set to play through it. I've tried rebooting, disabling and enabling the device, removing and reconnecting the mic at the audio jack, but no luck. I can't think of anything I've changed that could be causing this...
It seems like every bluetooth stack out there is glitchy, proprietary, has discontinued support, and heavy drm that is keyed to the one specific dongle. On top of that they tend to get confused if I reconnect the dongle to any usb port other than the one it was connected to when I installed the drivers--woe be to me if i forget which one it is. Yet blueman on my raspberry pi linux box works like a dream--unfortunately, that's not where I want my audio to be coming...
Actually I just improvised my already-owned camera for the purpose of surveillance, but I certainly don't want to spend close to what I'm likely to lose by being burgled. What do you mean by a 'small server that's online to push the stream'? Some things I'm unclear on about ip cameras: do they use a standardised protocol or need proprietary software for viewing and recording purposes? Can be logged onto over the web for viewing without a server inbetween? Can they...
Is this a lie then?Re: the stealing, I plan on having a wifi hdd hidden away where a thief would never find it and record the footage to there. Although I'm wondering if I need to do anything special so that if the recording were interrupted, the footage would not be corrupted?Also wondering what the best way would be to view the webcam whilst out and about over a phone, AND have it doing local recording. I don't know how this can be done since the OS (Or drivers?) don't...
Is there a recent version, precompiled for 64 bit windows h265/HEVC encoder that works as a library/filter and not an executable?