Posts by willibj

I'm gonna stand up and be the only one to suggest Wolfenstein - The New Order. It's fantastic IMO, reminds me of Return to Castle Wolfenstein with remnants of that certain gaming-magic that Far Cry 3 managed to capture: just pure fun. It's pretty, exciting, well paced, decent story, and does what it sets out to fantastically. Won't reshape the world of gaming, but it's completely successful in what it does. I wouldn't pay full price for it, however - wait until it drops in...
My pleasure and good samaritan deed for the day. Also posted to TP-Link's website, along with an email to their customer service department suggesting they not "fix" the hardware vendor's drivers if they ain't broke
Well ... I solved it. TP-Link have broken drivers basically. I have the WN822n v3.0 which is a Realtek RTL8192CU chipset. Earlier versions have an Atheros chipset. Anyway ... trick is, just install the generic chipset driver, not the TP-Link customized one. Getting 120-150mbs now, and download speeds are at my connection's maximum now. For anyone who stumbles across this looking for a solution, the v3.0 drivers are here (select...
Hi all, recently purchased this USB Wifi adapter and it's giving me grief ... it's stuck at 1Mbps speeds. My laptop in the same room gets a solid 150mbps but the WN822N connected to my sig-rig gets terrible performance and seems stuck at 1mbps. I've tried un/reinstalling the drivers, changing USB ports, googled for hours now trying to find a fix, but no dice. It connects and technically "works", just *REALLY* slowly and I cannot get it to run at the advertised speeds...
Either card will run any game at that native resolution (1366x768) maxed out no problems. To get the most out of them, you can overclock, and both will overclock well but the R9 270 will probably come out on top in slightly more situations. Then there's, 2 main things to consider: AMD's Mantle, and nVidia Physx. If you play games that utilize the latter, you'll want to go for the GTX660. If you're looking forward to games that are being made with the former in mind, then...
Wanton China bashing is ignorant and stupid (see what I did there? ) But seriously, kudos to them. Anything which pushes the space race forward is great to see! I hope they restore full functionality and succeed in their intended mission and more so.
And 99 out of 100 Best Buy computer guys don't know diddly-squat about the hardware and are just trying to sell you anything they can. Dell has more validity, but the suggestion they gave you is outrageous and CLEARLY profiteering from your lack of knowledge. These guys are charlatans. Build your own rig, and you'll know far more about it than all of them.
^ All of the above. Some of my favourite memories of my childhood were learning to build computers and then using that knowledge to help other people (like now!). I truly wish I had a father-figure to share that experience with. So much learning and bonding potential. For me, as a computer user today, the designing, building and learning process around the hardware (and overclocking) is as important and meaningful as the use of the machine itself.
And this is a similar build but "toned down" yet still with high quality parts. It will give you much of the performance and upgradeability of my above build, but for a fair bit less. Again, if it were me, I would swing closer to this build for a first gaming rig for a14 year old son. It will still last years and handle everything, but perhaps not quite as well and games with settings turned down a little at times but by no means sacrificing the essential...
So I threw together this build. Everything included with screen for $2000 (except for keyboard/mouse/speakers/etc) This rig has all the trimmings and high-quality hardware. I could do a similar performing rig by cutting corners for a couple of hundred bucks, but if you have the finances, I like to choose quality parts personally. This rig will hold its own in games for years to come and handle any productivity work your son may need in future school years. It will look...