Posts by willibj

Nope - your Titan's should be more than enough horsepower to begin with, but will also likely retain a higher resale value for their productivity performance. Double compute FPU or whatever it is. Keep it/them, and look to the future. Pascal is coming ...
People who just spout and parrot that VR is going to flop because Virtual Boy and 90s movies are uneducated, period. The investing market forces behind VR already prove its validity. The tech advancements mean that this run for the technology should be considered the first real one ever. Its actually viable on a consumer level AND has the realism potential required to be properly engaging. It wont replace regular screen gaming, at least initially, but it will carve out a...
Don't get the standard gtx980 over a gtx970 unless it's only 10-15% more expensive at most. Frequently the gtx980 is about 30%+ more expensive than a gtx970 and there is no way in hell that's worth it. Which system depends ultimately on your screen resolution and overall budget. If it were me, I would build my own powerhouse rig ready for Pascal or Arctic Islands, with a gtx970/r9-390 as a place holder until the new GPU's come out, mostly because the gtx970/r9-390 can be...
Ah, i knew there was a possibility i was mistaken on that. Thanks for the correction.So Broadwell-E will get the 10 core and be compatible with LGA2011v3 and Skylake E is on a new socket then. Broadwell wasnt the best overclocker, was it? Will that affect the Broadwell E performance? I wonder if it would be better for the OP to go straight for the 5960x if so?And Skylake E will have 6 channel memory? Wow!Thanks again
The monitor is going to be a massive upgrade for you, no doubt. Still, for only $60 more, I would have gone for the 29" model from Best Buy. Regardless the new resolution and screen ratio plus being a lovely IPS screen will be a game changer for you coming from your old monitor. Money well spent mate. For the record, the 25" ultrawide has the same height as a 20" 16:9 monitor whilst the 29" has the same height as a 23.5", unless I'm mistaken. Right. You're going to need...
I can't comment on the Xeon's because I'm unfamiliar with the latest models. The i7 5960x is obviously the best out there for the consumer models, with 8 cores and 16 threads. Skylake-E is going to have a 10 core 20 thread flagship unless I'm mistaken. And I believe it's still going to be 2011 v3 compatible too. For the price, I think you would be better getting a 5820k rig with all the RAM and storage etc you need. It's a hell of a lot of power for a cheap price in...
And if you need more evidence for why you shouldn't bother upgrading your platform and CPU right now, then look no further than this article. Assuming gaming, there's just not enough to be gained. Sure, games like Fallout 4 and GTA V are starting to show minor improvements on newer CPU's, finally, but 2nd generation or newer Intel Core i5's are still by and large more than enough for any single GPU gaming rig. http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1158
Slink3Slyde is entirely correct. There is nothing you should upgrade at the moment, except for your monitor. Which you should upgrade as soon as possible. A 1080p monitor is going to be crushed by your rig - I should know, look at my sig-rig (I can get my CPU up to 3.8ghz which makes it pretty close to yours) and I've been playing at 1080p with zero troubles on any game at all running max or near max settings, like The Witcher 3 where I have to turn hairworks off, or...
Some damned good prices in there but that Asus Strix r9-380 2gb for $139 after MIR is the best value GPU for mid level buyers I can remember in a really long time. Thats astonishing value. Imagine how cheap you can build an HTPC rig for better than console perfomance around that card.
Here is that quote i found.forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5130281&postcount=7