Posts by willibj

The H60 is perfect for more than just "stock or near stock" cooling. Clearly as per the OP's situation, it's fine for 1.39v and 4.7ghz. Temps are perfectly fine. Still, if it were me, i would drop back to 4.5 or 4.6 and get that voltage down below 1.35v for safety, and because those speeds are beyond all that's necessary and very strong gaming performance.
Subbed for the fascinating and impressive work, because I'm on my phone and can't watch the videos now. Awesome build!
Personally, I prefer the 2nd buld as it's more fully featured and balanced. I do like the MicroATX form-factor of the 1st build, and it's GPU is significantly stronger for gaming. But the r9-280 is still very good for 1080p gaming, and will basically max out almost any game currently released, save for a few very taxing or poorly-optimised examples. Anyway, hope this helps at all Edit, I noticed you said that you're already over budget. If you need to save money. If...
Alternatively, here's a build that is overclock ready on every component albeit with a less powerful GPU (still very capable, and would compete with the GTX770 once overclocked in most games, beating it sometimes, not others) but this build also squeezes in a 120gb SSD and 2tb HDD. It's very balanced across the board. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.94 @ Aria PC) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master...
BeanyBot. If I may, can I suggest perhaps a slighty varied build for you? Given your budget, I think you can get significantly better parts without sacrificing anything. I've opted to close off the option for high-end overclocking, as frankly it's not a must-have for gaming with a single GPU at regular build levels. It's better with a small budget to spread your finances out across other areas. The following build gives you everything you're looking for, but with 8gb of...
The conclusions you take away from the article depend on your needs, uses, and budget. The IMC of any dual-channel RAM platform will overclock easier, higher, and more stable with only 2 sticks of RAM, using matched pairs is theoretically more stable (or rather less likely unstable at settings/volts/etc), and matched pairs have a better resale value. All of that said, for your immediate use (assuming gaming and general desktop functions) and a very tight budget, there's...
For your interest: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel
It will run in single channel mode, not dual channel (since you will have 3 RAM slots occupied and the single 4gb stick has no "pair" to match with) but it will work. Whether you lose speed/bandwidth or not is another thing, but in terms of functionality there's no immediate issue. Still, I would try and get a 2x4gb set and sell the 2x2gb set if I were you. Better all around
The 3770 (non-k) should overclock by 4 turbo bins on all cores at basically stock voltages. It's not game changing, but it's free and completely safe. Minimal temp increases. Your motherboard and PSU may factor though: tell us exactly which models you have. I have an i5 3470 ... non-k, 3.2ghz (3.4ghz turbo), and mine is clocked at 3.8ghz all cores. I could actually drop the volts slightly from stock whilst still getting ~12% extra CPU performance. Do I notice it? Frankly,...
It would be nice to see the effects of minimum frames in games. The above testing may well miss the important function of higher memory bandwidth where it counts; when the system resources are struggling. Much of what I have read that covers this point specifically shows that the increase in memory frequency has a more conclusive impact on the minimum frames than average or maximum frames, which is why 1600mhz to 2400mhz may appear negligable in generalized benchmarks...