Posts by Volvo

Just checked back on Crystaldiskinfo and it reports that my SSD has accumulated another 6GB of writes overnight when I deliberately left Spotify on overnight to run (silently) as I slept. 6GB is fairly reasonable I guess, for a PC that's running overnight? Like who knows maybe there might have been Windows updates and such, but in either case it's nowhere near alarming for an eMLC SSD.
Well yeah, it's true it boils down to luck.I do happen to know people who just can't use a single AMD card for crap - went through two RX480s that work on other people's rigs but just not his.I just happen to be on the extreme end of the scale - every green card just turns to crap after awhile and I hate it because their OEM x60 series cards offer up just what I like - good price, reasonable 1080p performance, and most importantly QUIET external exhaust.While they do have...
I seriously doubt it can draw 103W doing absolutely nothing - is this number from a review?They may very well have been talking about whole system idle power consumption.Even if you were to use multi-monitor, the power draw wouldn't be this high.Perhaps you can try re-enabling the thing and let the ZeroCore do its thing and throttle it down.If you sat in bios and let the thing run you'd notice it runs a far higher fan speed than if it were to be just idling on...
I believe the 7970 saps rather little power on idle, no need for such drastic measures to remove the thing entirely? Unless you leave your system on all the time, or run multi screens which AMD cards are notorious for ramping up the consumption on.
Nope no issues to report on 10.4.2 Also, I'm on an eMLC drive so... They can write all they want.
So do you think AMD cards fail more often?
I buy used AMD cards too and they all last?The one and only new card I could afford is my current RX480. Every other card I've had is used.To balance it out I am currently running an RX480, 660 OEM, 760 OEM and 5770.All used except for the 480, the 660 is dying but the rest were ex-corporate and still working properly.
I'll say that only cause my green cards keep dying.My 660 is the latest to bite the dust.Bought it used, worked fine for about four months, then started to screw up once the login screen was reached, temporarily fixed by dousing the entire thing in contact cleaner, fresh TIM and thermal pads, and insulator pads between the heatsink and PCB.And now it's screwing up again, barely another four months after it was 'fixed'.The fact that they keep dying?I don't use all high end...
Do they age badly? Well yes. I'll say that only cause my green cards keep dying. I prefer for my cards to age like fine wine, not like a sickly human. My 660 is the latest to bite the dust. Bought it used, worked fine for about four months, then started to screw up once the login screen was reached, temporarily fixed by dousing the entire thing in contact cleaner, fresh TIM and thermal pads, and insulator pads between the heatsink and PCB. And now it's screwing up...
Sounds interesting. I loved my Latitude E6220, gonna be staying within the Dell ecosystem as far as laptops go. Thinkpads these days are getting a bit overrated, plus the lack of physically separate buttons on the trackpad annoys me to no end. Plus the fact that a lot of the smaller units come with one RAM slot only and the other stick of RAM physically soldered to the motherboard is a huge turn-off.