Posts by ComGuards

Hmm... No replies. Kind of hard to make suggestions if you don't post your requirements, or describe what's wrong with the current router (i.e. how / why it doesn't meet your needs).
Yeap... I'm definitely feeling old now. Definitely not as hardcore as these young turks... Don't really go for the whole all-internal-drive setup... I'd take a picture of the setup, but the externals are rigged all over the place; especially the iSCSI storage units Approximately 30TB of mostly-redundant storage. Some stuff doesn't need to be redundant on that server...
Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials does not support Remote Desktop in Application mode. The remote desktop mode that is available is strictly for remote administration of the server. You cannot access the server using RDP and run any productivity software over the connection. If you do, you're in violation of the Microsoft licensing terms and EULA.Properly licensing RDS requires the purchase of individual device or user CALs along with the Standard or Datacenter server...
Best performance is passthrough-disk configuration at the Hyper-V level. Set the disk to offline in Disk Management on the Hyper-V host, and then assign it to the virtual machine. Loss of performance is negligible - I have the same setup at home that stores media files. I get about 85MByte/sec over my gigabit network, but I know there's a bit of a loss in network performance because the VMs are running over a PCI-X connection rather than PCIe.What's your current backup...
Lots of confusing / conflicting requirements... Disclaimer first - Running OSX on anything other than Apple hardware is a violation of their terms and conditions, so you / your friend need to keep that in mind. You also need to have the appropriate Windows licenses for any Windows VMs that will be running on the system. At the minimum, assuming Windows client operating systems, you'll need at least 1 OEM license per virtual instance that will be running on the...
What troubleshooting steps have you done? What exactly happens when you mean "drop"?What you should have going:1) Command prompt with constant ping to your gateway (router) IP address.2) Command prompt with constant ping to your assigned ISP address. (Pull info from your router)3) Command prompt with constant ping to your ISP gateway address. (Pull info from your router)4) Command prompt with constant ping to external IP address, such as Google DNS (8.8.8.8 or...
Not with only 4GB of RAM. 16GB recommended minimum to run a bunch of virtual guest machines.Can scrape by with a couple of 2GB "servers" if you have 8GB. Though if you utilize VMware's memory overcommit feature you can squeeze a bit more.
Any particular reason for not wanting to run a firewall as a VM?
Or you can configure Hyper-V replica between the two hosts to ensure that the VM firewall stays up even during host maintenance periods I'd personally go with a Sophos UTM virtual machine though
You'll need to quadruple your current RAM amount from 4GB if you are dead set on going down this path. From my business / enterprise experience, it's generally not a good idea to configure disk redundancy at such a high-level. You would be configuring passthrough disks, then configuring storage spaces at the virtual machine level, and it's not running on a bare-metal hypervisor. If you accidentally bring one of the disks online at the host level, you can really screw...