Posts by xd_1771

By the way, even if it were compatible/valid, it's common sense here on OCN that you don't suggest a DIY supercombo/barebones kit because they suck. If you take the time to put a parts list together, even what looks like the best of deals can be beat.   FX-6300 - $120 shipped [Newegg] GA-78LMT-S2P - $53 shipped, $10 rebate [Amazon] 2x2GB Crucial DDR3-1333 @ CL7 - $29 shipped [NCIX] 500GB HDD - $55 shipped [NCIX] DVD - $16 shipped [NCIX] Fractal Core 1000 -...
^ I'm not in the least a fan of the above build suggestions. For a non-gamer, an FX 6-core is excessive and the lack of/weak graphics makes no sense in a changing world where GPGPU is becoming the norm.   I am also not in the least bit a fan of DIY supercombos. They usually pair the worst parts choices (i.e. single-channel RAM, mobo without VRM cooling, worst of all a mediocre PSU... for "discounts" that are always beat if you take the time to individually put a...
You need to choose a better motherboard with VRM cooling and preferably a larger phase count for an FX 8-core. An M5A97 LE will not cut it. Motherboards from every company have trouble handling the FX 8-core processors without VRM cooling and even if so, without higher phase counts. For example: Numerous VRM-related throttling incidents on OCN reported on 4+1 phase VRM boards from ASUS, GIGABYTE, ASRock even with VRM cooling present, on stock 8-core processors. MSI, in...
I would still take the Athlon x4 750 build over that. The 750 should perform similarly at much lower power consumption, and cost a bit less. By the way, the Rosewill Stallion 400W is worse (far, far worse) than the CX430. The Rosewill Green series may be an improvement, but Stallion is a serious downgrade in quality.
Windows adjusts and 4GB of RAM is more than enough. I'm idling here with Steam, Firefox with several tabs open and many background apps on 8GB of RAM and using 2.8GB. It would be 1.9 without Firefox, and probably closer to 1 if I had 4GB of RAM. I don't think that a lot of games will benefit from over 4GB of RAM at the moment, but future games will (i.e. BF3 likes 8GB, and only at very high settings). So, yeah, 8GB is ideal, but 4GB is not bad at all.
This one strikes me as the most ideal build for the price here. 4 overclockable 32nm cores at a good price with a decent discrete video card, encased in a good case, with a decent power supply, and eclipsing budget by only $10 before rebates (easily solved through only a few parts changes, i.e. a Bitfenix Merc Beta which is still a high quality case at $10 less, or the CX430 (which is more than enough for a build with a low-power GPU and a relatively low-power CPU) for...
You are probably getting sensor errors. I would think a much bigger issue for you to review, however, would be your choice of motherboard. 870A-G54s are pretty much the most VRM failure-prone boards on the market, and the MOSFETs are known to catch fire/explode/fry/etc with stock Phenom II quad cores. You might want to consider a motherboard replacement soon. On top of improved safety, it'd ease your temperature sensor worries.   You can learn more about...
Check your secondary latencies (the random non-important numbers such as tRFC and such that might give stability if adjusted.... particularly the one with the high numbers i.e. 110ns)
Neither the 960D+ with an FX-6300 nor the A880G+ with the 965, which both pair low-end 3+1 phase VRM systems with high-end 4-core and 6-core processors, would be that ideal (certainly not beyond stock).   No consideration of the option with the x4 750k and FM2 board though? That'll cost the same.
@ Schmuckley: That was the MA78LM-S2H, this is the LMT. So, that "high fail rate" may be a mislabel. On the other hand, these aren't high quality VRMs for a 4+1 phase.