Posts by PaulWog

I have an i7 2600k with an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard (first revision after SB recalls). I'm wondering what these voltages are, and whether it's safer for the longevity of my CPU to keep them at AUTO, or to manually select an amount so the automatic amount isn't boosted higher than it needs to be. This is what I have them set to currently in my bios: VCCIO Voltage: Auto PCH Voltage: 0.95v PLL Voltage: 1.71250v VCCSA Voltage: 0.9v Recently I had an issue where my...
I still haven't gotten my answer about the 640m. I'm still curious.And yes, things are different. Hardware has gotten better with heat-to-performance. You generally had more heat, and the lenience for overclocking was so little with regular air-cooled laptops that overclocking wasn't as viable as it is now. Laptops were much thicker and ran hotter, and that wasn't all too long ago.Your unintelligent flaming attempts are not appreciated.
Hi, I've got a respectable hi-fi stereo setup. My speakers are a pair of Kef Q-300's, I have a Marantz PM-6004 stereo amplifier, and I'm using a DacMagic Plus as my DAC. I am usually about 1.75 - 2.5 feet from my speakers, which are each beside my screen (they are spaced apart by approximately 3 center from center). My issue: At low and mid-low sound levels, audio is often not "fun"... it doesn't feel like I'm listening to a hi-fi setup. I'm wondering whether I should...
I'm not sure. This is Samsung SSD Magician: I would guess that they'd be providing benchmarks from their own software. They don't give the information as to whether or not they use a compressed or uncompressed benchmark (there's no choice when benchmarking so I'm not sure what it is). I had assumed that they would have set up their benchmark to allow for the numbers to match up to the box, but maybe they are doing a compressed benchmark.I guess that leads me to the...
I've been using the Samsung SSD Magician to benchmark my Samsung 840 256GB Pro, and the IOPS performance is something like 2/3 of what it's supposed to be. The Sequential Read & Sequential Write speeds are within acceptable parameters (Read is always between 510 and 535 MB/s, and write is between 460 and 510 MB/s). No matter what settings I choose, I get a random read IOPS performance of somewhere in the 60000-68000 range, and a random write in the range of 40000-50000....
What world are you guys living in? Are you just trying to get your post-count up? This has nothing to do with the conversation. I *AM* using an SPDIF connection: that was said in the original post. The RCA connection is then required at some point: that is the whole PURPOSE of the thread! A DAC is a "digital to analogue converter" -- that means SPDIF -> (in this case RCA) converter. You *HAVE* to eventually convert the digital signal at some point in the sequence. [/rage...
Mindful criticisms and informed opinions are entirely welcomed. I will respond to a couple of the responses above when I get some time to: I don't know absolutely everything since I'm no electrical engineer... nor am I an audio expert. I've just done my research, and I have consulted with a computer & electrical engineer (family member) -- not that he manufactures or works with RCA cables for audio... but he just provides a bit more insight into the matter for me to...
Here's the lowdown of the blind test: The system was set out on a mock living room setup (sort-of), but it was easy to access everything. There was a DAC and the Marantz PM-6004 and PM-8004 all set up, as well as a couple DACS. So we plugged together the DAC Magic Plus, the Marantz PM-6004, and then a pair of speakers which cost a bit more than mine but are about on-par. The difference between the wires was relatively evident. I couldn't see which wires he plugged in, but...
The testing was blind testing.Anyway, it does matter how the cable is constructed. Every cable modifies the signal, because it has to travel through the cable. If a cable has more resistance, or different impedance, or different levels of inductance, that all modifies the signal (among other things). Each cable has different properties. If you compare a cheap cable to a more expensive cable, you usually look at worse numbers on the cheaper cable when it comes to measurable...
Your comment is so irrelevant it hurts...We're not talking about digital.