Posts by Shub

Yeah, it was stupid for real.I was working on the computer in the morning, had to go somewhere, left it open and rested the keyboard against its side. In my absence the keyboard must have slipped so that it was resting against something inside the computer. When I came home and tried to get the keyboard back from under the desk, I noticed that it wasn't in the same position I'd left it in, but I tried wiggling it out anyway, without looking at what I was actually doing and...
Thanks dude!
A stupid move by me while the fan was running caused one of the fins to break clean off. It's the stock top fan of a Cooler Master HAF 922 case that I bought in 2010. Gonna replace the fan, it looks like http://amzn.com/B008G3OLRQ is what I need, but I was hoping someone could confirm that so I don't buy the wrong fan like an idiot Thanks!
I did consider it and I just don't feel like dealing with it. I'm very familiar with VMware products (VCP5-DCV certified, but expired), but there's just not much point in this instance. All this would get me is that remote console thing I was talking about and a whole lot of potential headaches. I don't need multiple machines running on there, but if that ever changes, I'll just use KVM on top of the bare metal Linux install.
Nah, it's not a server board, just the board from my 2010 gaming computer (X58/LGA1366 for first-generation Core i7). No biggie, I can live without the remote console.
Eh, this remote console thing is not worth the management overhead of virtualization, I want this to be simple and have as few moving parts as possible. If it means not getting the "VNC" thing, then no biggie, I should be alright without it. Good suggestion, though!
Thanks! I'll be alright installing Linux, I've done it plenty of times and I work with Amazon Linux a lot, I'm pretty comfortable with it but far from an expert. I have a fair bit of experience managing web servers and Docker containers, but I've never had to worry about the file system or serving files in general. I'll be using Chef to manage my machine's configuration. I'm going to start coding the cookbooks soon
Thanks for the reply. I know Linux can mount NTFS volumes (and I'll need that functionality to sync the drives between one another), but I'd rather not do that. If nothing else, blame my being a neat freak, but I just want to be rid of the Windowsy stuff and run the native Linuxy stuff instead. To clarify what I meant by SSH vs. "VNC"... Compare to Microsoft's RDP vs. VNC. RDP is a semantic remote access solution whereas VNC reproduces what's actually displayed on the...
Thanks for the additional answers! I did end up buying an HD650 ($290 last Friday, great deal!). I appreciate the amp-less suggestions(s) but I was set on getting an amp anyway just so I don't have to worry about the 'phones being driven properly. So along with the HD650, I went with a Vali to complement my Magni, and picked up a Modi to set up at work with the DT990s, just because I'd been meaning to get a DAC. Everything came in over the weekend but so far I'm happy with...
Hi folks, I have a file server with Windows 8.1 that I'd like to switch to a headless Linux setup. To be clear, I'm not moving from one machine to another, I'm replacing Windows in place. I've moved the Windows apps/services I need to another machine (need iTunes and other things) so I can run the Linux server headless. For the foreseeable future, its only roles will be to run an rtorrent daemon and act as a Samba server, and maybe run some small VMs for software...