Posts by CTRLurself

It received nearly identical review scores everywhere I've seen it, it's physically oversized for it's wattage, and has a cheaper fan. The extra 100W is nice though.Not saying it's a bad PSU at all, just commenting on there being a reason for the SeaSonic recommendation (primarily the significantly nicer cooling in it)... also, how often do people even keep the same PSU for 7 years? Oldest one I own is about 4 years old (it's a SeaSonic X750 Gold)
You can run one monitor off the DVI and one off the VGA, no adapter required. They don't have to be all digital or all analog for the card to be able to run multiple monitors. Just plug them all it and it should work.Actually, for the money, EVGA GT 630 every day of the week. They last a lot longer and are actually a direct replacement of a 9800GT for $65 flat. I just built a computer with 6 of them in it for running a huge monitor array.
You want an Nvidia 580 (best GPU compute card for CAD software, for the money - by a LONG shot). They can be found used/refurbished pretty regularly online, and will be your best option for a budget CAD machine by a huge margin. Most CAD programs aren't multi-threaded, so an OC'd socket 1150 quad-core will actually out perform a socket 2011 12-threaded machine at lower clock speeds. Photoshop is more multithreaded, however so the exact balance of high clock speeds vs more...
9800GT's support dual screens, so are they trying to do something else with it that requires more power while running two screens? or what? Your question doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Due to the fact that most PSUs don't regulate the Molex power quality as tightly as it regulates the PCI rails, that would be a poor way of looking at this. Using a PCI power cable is always preferable to using those dual-molex to PCI adapters for exactly this reason. Yes, it can and will affect the longevity of the GPU.
It will still pull some power through the riser, but a PCIx1 slot doesn't provide the same total power available as a PCIx16. PCIx1 slots are 10-25W of power, PCIx16 slots can provide 25-75W of power. If you're running a dedicated GPU, with no dedicated power cable to it, it will run in a lower-power mode so that it can operate off of the 25W of power it is limited to. If you get an x16 GPU, that doesn't already require it's own power connection, you will have to buy a...
This is entirely a link formatting problem, hence the post here.Within a OneNote Notebook, you are able to embed independent copies of files. I have a shared OneNote notebook I'm building for my office to use, but I have hit a snag and need to figure this out.Once you embed a file in OneNote, it saves a new copy of the file, into the OneNote file (it's an *.ONE file extension). This ONE file is actually an XML container that contains text files, formatting info and...
Folding doesn't require an x16 slot at all since the processing is done almost entirely on the card. You can either buy a riser/adapter to change your PCIx1 to a PCIx16 slot, or you can simply melt the end of the slot open with a soldering iron (the old school, and dangerous method). There will be almost zero performance loss, but you may have issues with powering a GPU, if it doesn't take external power (both those do, so you'll be totally fine). Even for gaming, the...
Between those two, I would take the 450D. The 500R is a bit flimsy (I only paid $80 for the one I had and still didn't think I got my money's worth), I don't know if the 450D is any better, but it looks more solid at least. Alternately, I can highly recommend the Corsair C70 if you can find one in your area. It's not much more money, but it's a much more solid case. It looks better than the 500R, but not as nice as the 450D (in my opinion anyways), but it's much more...
Ok. From your first post with the pictures it sounded like you had a mild OC on it, and were wanting to take it higher if you had a better board. Had to double-check.