Posts by CTRLurself

I have to nominate BKinn's Node 804 build (the cube case in this gallery): http://www.overclock.net/g/i/2028473/a/937317/fractal-design-case-club/sort/display_order/ It pretty much has to win as that air cooler is larger than is supposed to even fit in the case.
I don't know of your first question about compatibility, but a sudden temp change would be something failing or coming loose, not the thermal paste aging. Take a look in the BIOS and see if it reports an RPM for the pump (plug it into a 4-pin motherboard header if it isn't already, and make sure it's set to Performance or 100% manually). Pretty much all modern graphics cards will shut down if the GPU itself gets too hot - the danger is when the other components overheat -...
Fire up Western Digital Data Life Guard and let it run a long test on the RAID. If it fails then one of the hard drives in the RAID is failing the Read/Verify test, and you'll have to test the drives independently (you have to take them out of RAID mode, usually you can put them back into RAID without losing data, but it'll force a rebuild, or at least a consistency check).
I'll throw out the usual spread of recommendations case-wise: watercooling stuff would have to be chosen after the fact, unless there's some part that you just really want to use. Classic (the standard to which most modern cases are compared): Silverstone TJ07 --They don't make these anymore, but you can still find new ones off the beaten path. --Absolutely beautiful. Modern Equivalent: Corsiar 900D --about 5" bigger than the TJ07, not quite as classy, but still very...
Reserved
Hey guys, this is my first build for myself in a while. I didn't like my old HTPC that I had built out of spare parts, so I decided to do it properly. This is a combination new, used and extra parts I had laying around, but I'm trying to build it right this time. This little guy is a combination File Server and HTPC, so it has to be quiet, and big on the inside. As a reference, here's some of the other stuff I've built recently: I settled on the Node 804 because I LOVE...
I just googled "8 beeps dell Inspiron" and got this: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19432846.aspx Please search around before you post a new thread, because that literally took me 30 seconds to find. A GPU wouldn't overheat within seconds of the laptop starting up, and it would get VERY hot if it were - you tend to KNOW when a laptop is overheating. According to that article, it's a problem with the display, and it even details how to help...
Appreciate it Pontiac.
the thing to keep in mind is that 4U cases are about 1" narrower than a standard Mid/Full-tower. Hence having to stick with a 92mm fan cooler instead of being able to get one with a 120mm fan. Alternately you can pick up one where the fan blows towards the motherboard, but the big disadvantage here is that there's only one fan.You always want two fans where one would be sufficient just in case of a fan dying.Watercooling a server essentially requires two pumps, where one...
Sorry, was thinking 5U, not 4U. I fixed my commentary, and stand by my exact HSF suggestion.