Posts by Ganf

You think it'd get that far into the OS installation before the pins burned? Edit: I'm going to keep squinting at it until another suggestion comes along, but so far every pin is perfect, and there are no burn marks on the chip's contacts.
I just put together a machine today with: 4770k processor Gigabyte z78x-UD3H Motherboard Samsung 840 120gb Seasonic 550w PSU 8gb Corsair Vengeance LP RAM Everything started up fine, all of the numbers in the BIOS looked good while I was making sure that it was set correctly to install an OS, and I started installing Windows 8. I walked away while it was preparing the files for installation, and somewhere around 60% during the file preparation the PC shut off, and didn't...
First I'm going to say my access to the internet is intermittent nowadays. I may not be expedient in updating this. I know a lot of people on the forums have bought these keyboards as a simple no-frills introduction to mechanical keyboards. I also know that these boards are pretty much guaranteed to have problems with the Mini USB connection starting on average 6 months after purchase. I think enough of us own these keyboards, which are great with the one fault of the...
Just for anyone else's reference, here is a list of the parts I decided on. If anyone else comes upon this thread looking for a decent build for an office PC that will last close to a decade of 24/7 runtime before becoming outdated, this list has my utmost confidence. Naturally you'll want to drop a cheap GPU in after 4-5 years to take the load off of the integrated chip, which will start to show it's age by then, but putting one in now would just be a very effective way...
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I can pad out the rest.
I've a friend who wants me to throw together a parts list for a computer, budget of about $1000 or so, and my life has been so busy for the last 6 months that I have no idea what's the best price to performance ratio at the moment. I'm writing this while I browse the usual haunts trying to catch up. They don't want to wait and see if anything hits a sale or see if a package deal or anything pops up, they just want a list within the budget that can be bought, shipped, and...
No, write cycles have gone down significantly, actually, in the name of dropping price and increasing capacity. SLC NAND drives are without debate the most reliable and longest lasting SSD's, but have been almost completely phased out of the consumer market in favor of MLC and TLC.http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nandEverybody's been real excited about SSD's getting cheaper over the last couple of years, but in this case we...
We are speaking of the same node I just don't care enough to refund it right now, I'll wait until I do a major respec, and by then it'll have been layng there for so long it'll feel like a freebie.
And how many times would you have to swap games around before the SSD actually started to show degradation? Assuming you don't get something with really bad firmware and sub-par QC, perhaps go with the mainstay Crucial M4 or Samsung 830, and you've got 800 TiB in writes before a dead drive, 400 before you start seriously considering a replacement. No typo there, 400 Tebibytes. Are any of us going to swap a game so many times we wear out a drive before replacing it? Or...
Only the one by armor and evasion is wasted, I just don't feel like refunding it right now, it's not hurting anything at the moment. The other one is me stretching along the bottom, where I'll probably finish out with all of the physical damage nodes and armor and evasion. What I've been doing so far is fun, so I'm going to stick with it.I just wanted the 5th frenzy charge and the +4% to evasion per charge. I'm done over there. It also gave me access to plenty of hp nodes...