Posts by unseen0

Dear OCN, I have a few questions regarding what i mentioned in the title. My brother lives far away and we like to keep in touch and play an occasional LAN game such as C&C Generals like we used to do at home. Recently i have been trying hamachi, tunngle and gameranger to play games, but there is always some kind of issue that pops up. I figured that a VPN connection could do a lot better when configured properly and so i went and investigated that option. Then the...
Sorry bout that, i didn't find that form to fill in before. I might get a switch then if i don't have enough ports on the router, but then i'd also need advice on that since i've had switches slow me down like the router is doing now. What is your maximum budget? $150 Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you? No specific brand in mind. What modes does your router need to support? (a/b/g/n/ac) Whichever is best, i assume that´s N now when it comes...
Dear OCN, Recently i've been experiencing some drops in my internet speed. After analysing, it turns out my router is to blame. I have a linksys wrt160n which is at least 4 years old. Whenever i hook up my laptop to my modem directly, i get 60/6mbps down/up, which is what i pay for. So that's fine. If i connect it to my Router however, i get 44mbps, which isn't a big deal, but i feel it's a waste. I have tried getting the latest firmware, disabling the firewall and using...
Thank you all for the replies. This surely helps a lot. I will be looking into things a bit further now and i'll post a reply once i have made my choice! Could take a while, busy week comming up. Thanks again!
Thanks for the feedback!Do you think either an ATOM J1900 or an AMD AM1 cpu will be able to pull off youtube 1080p@60fps?This is not my main concern, but it would be awesome if it could pull it off.*edit, as for the mini desktop you posted. It would indeed fit my needs. But for the same price i can probably build a faster and maybe even more effecient system.It comes with unneeded software since i have OS laying around.I will definitely look into these options u posted...
I want to build this HTPC for the use of browsing some internet, play youtube videos at 1080p and play an occasional non demanding game like Bejeweled. Currently, i have this in mind: Case: Cooler master elite 110 Mobo: MSI H81m-P33 CPU : Celeron G1840 RAM: Kingston 4gb 12800 SSD: Crusial MX100 128GB Monitor, kb and mouse i have. Since the mobo has ethernet, gpu, sound and usb on-board, i have everything i need, right? Don't need optical drives PSU is something i'm...
You guys made this clear as daylight! Thanks again for your time to elaborate on this!
Thank you very much, i have a better understanding of how things work now.However, it leads to my next question.I can imagine why people would use 255.255.240.0 for example. to expand the range of available IP's on one subnet, correct?But why would people choose to use 255.255.255.240 for example. It's my understanding that this will create a subnet with only 15 available ip adresses. What benefit is it to narrow down system's like that instead of just throwing them on a...
You and many others seem to know your stuff,I may be mixing things up here.It's my understanding, after reading your posts that the subnetmask will "limit" your network range.For example, if i were to set a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 on a 192.168.0.xxx Ip adress, wouldn't that mean that the defined network is 192.168.0. and the followup numbers would be systems connected to that network, correct?If the subnetmask would become 255.255.254.0, wouldn't that mean that the...
Thank you all kindly for all the reactions. This is of great help As for using a different subnet, u mean adjusting the home network to say; 192.168.2.xxx, where the other location would use 192.168.1.xxxThen the subnetmask on the home network would become 255.255.254.0, correct?