Posts by PapaSmurf

Here's the harsh reality of the situation. If you only want to do a suicide run at 4GHz to make a milestone, the 4GHz club, etc. then you might need to invest in a new motherboard. If you want to actually run 4GHz 24/7 you'll need to get a better motherboard, a higher end cpu, and depending on the cpu some better ram (1066). That might not be what you want to hear, but it is what it is. Before I went to the expense of doing all of that I would look into moving up to a...
Quite honestly I would say the problem is your motherboard. That ram should easily be able to run at 830 to 850 MHz or a fsb of 415 to 425 with loose timings (7-7-7-30 or so) and a little extra voltage (say + 0.1 or 0.2 vdimm). The G31 chipset in a lot of motherboards simply didn't overclock the 200fsb processors that well. With a better motherboard with more overclocking options that cpu and ram should be able to easily hit 4+ GHz. Looking at some of the E5300's listed...
That article you linked to was first posted online around 2005 or 2006 and essentially has no relevance on anything built after 2009 or so. The nForce chipsets allowed you to lock the PCI, AGP, and PCI-E at their stock settings and then raise the fsb independently. This allowed for higher overclocks as the rest of the system stayed within spec. I think one one of the later Via chipsets allowed it as well, but I'm not positive. Not sure about any of the AMD chipsets as I...
Looks like it was my goof up. I removed the 2700k and put the 2500 back in and it started doing the exact same thing. Took th2 2500 out and looked at the socket and it appears I might have bent one of the pins slightly. I absolutely HATE these types of sockets. Looks like I'll have to send this mobo in for repair once I get my other one in. Hopefully this one doesn't go out completely in the meantime.: doh:
I'm not sure if this belongs in the CPU section since Sandy Bridge has an integrated memory controller, the memory section, or the motherboard section but I'll start here and the mods can move it if they feel it needs to be. Just put an i7 2700k in an existing build that has been running an i5 2500 for well over a year in dual channel mode just fine. The 2700k will not boot in dual channel mode. It cycles on and off like a bad overclock will do on a Gigabyte motherboard....
I wasn't the person who started this club. It was started before I ever joined OCN. IINM it was sdla4ever that started it. It changed hands a few times. GOTFrog handed it over to me in Aug or Sept of 2010. NoGuru had it at one time, but that was before I joined OCN. Not sure if there was anyone else who ran it or not.i started the 2GHz Club (link in my sig) shortly after taking over this Club, then I moved, the forum changed to a new software package that made it more...
Nope. OCN doesn't allow outside graphics in sigs. Only the Smiley's like you see next to the posts, like the blue flame you have in yours. Hopefully they keep it like that as I've been on forums where they have a dozen graphics in the sigs.
Link to validation should be working now.
Finally moving up to Sandy Bridge. Ordered a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 and an i7 2700k today. Gonna be selling the UD3P and the HyperX. I've been doing a lot more video work at church and the difference in rendering times between a stock i5 2500 and my Q9550 @ 4.2GHz is just too much to ignore. It was a good ride while it lasted and I really enjoyed talking with everyone here in this thread. I'll miss the UD3P, but I'll be keeping the UD3R and the Patriot ram as backup rig. Not...
I'm going to be selling my EP45-UD3P in about a week if you still looking. In the process of switching to an i7 2700k.