Posts by jrcbandit

Not the SATA ports, the PCI Express slots get disabled if you use m2 slots. The bottom two.
You really need to update the Bios to the motherboard. The new BIOS can make a HUGE difference with higher RAM clocks / stability. At the very least, you need it to be one of the last two Bios updates, either 3.0 or 2.4, you'll have poor results with a BIOS before those two.If you want to stick with your current RAM check out: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/24130#post_26242714, post 24134 the section for Hynix MFR (M-die) except...
Yep, once you get a stable RAM overclock, you can go back to 3.7 Ghz and then try for a stable 3.8-3.9 Ghz.For your RAM, it looks like it is Hynix M-die, not the best for Ryzen. Before the June/July Bios updates, the best it could do is 2666, but perhaps after Bios update 3.0 (contains AGESA 1.0.0.6a memory update) it will be able to do the full 3000 or 2933 - I'd start with trying 2933. Oh yeah, if you don't want to have to wait forever between reboots, you can turn...
It's best to not overclock your processor when trying to find the proper settings for your RAM so temporarily put the processor back to stock settings. I'd initially try the memory with SOC LLC of 2 and a SOC Voltage of 1.10, and memory voltage of 1.35-1.385 V. You can try increasing both SOC voltage up to 1.2 (DON'T go over 1.2, likely best to stay within 1.1-1.175 V) and memory voltage up to about 1.4 V.In memory timings area, you can initially try going with XMP...
3.9 at 1.375 would be great, but you definitely need more voltage either at core or at SOC (or both). You shouldn't complain, I need 1.4 V for my chip to be stable at 3.8 Ghz, which you get at 1.32 ;p. I'm using an AIO cooler so my temps aren't too bad, but I'm very disappointed in the voltage I need. In any case, you need to keep the voltage under 1.45 V to prevent chip degradation and with an AIO cooler you should easily be able to get 3.9 Ghz stable below...
I tried Prime95 small FFT at 1.40 V for my core for 30 minutes and it was 76 C. I'm using an Asetek-based AIO cooler (many companies make these like NZXT, Corsair, EVGA, etc), although it is only the 240 mm radiator version, a 280 mm radiator version would be best if you want to upgrade and your case fits it.Are you just getting a black screen or is the board/CPU locking up with Dr. Debug error code? I was just getting black screens without my computer being locked up and...
It should be perfectly safe, just check your max temperatures at 1.367 V, which really isn't that much higher. If you want the voltage to start off lower while idle, you can always do offset with LLC 1 - just lower the amount of offset to compensate for the fact that LLC 1 will add additional voltage. For example, I idle at 1.37 V but under load it goes up to 1.4 V - I completely failed at the silicon lottery and have to use these high voltages for 3.8 Ghz ;p.
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll definitely go higher voltage on the core until I obtain some stability. Wish I had a custom loop on this build but AIO Kraken will have to do. I'll grab IBT to try too, probably don't want to do Prime 95 blended for long hours without being there. I might try clearing CMOS/reseating too. After upgrading the Taichi X370 to latest bios, I used the button on back to clear CMOS, but should I have used the jumper plus pull battery instead?
Can a Ryzen 1700x really require over 1.4 V core to get a stable 3.8 ghz overclock? I've had 0 luck overclocking so far, Prime95 Blend never gets past 1 hour, so far the highest I've gone is 1.39 V for core voltage. Also, my FlareX memory seemed fine around stock voltage and SOC at 1.1 or 1.15, using "lightweight" stress tests but the one I really want to use is MemTest HCI to fully test it. I can't seem to test stability with MemTest because I keep getting blank...
Thanks for letting me know this. I thought I had a bad overclock or something and it was driving me nuts. Wont be using Real Bench any more lol.