Posts by stolid

Xeon E5450 @ 4GHz, socket 775-771 mod http://valid.x86.fr/t0i0a7
Xeon E5450 @ 4GHz, socket 775-771 mod http://valid.x86.fr/t0i0a7
Looking for some feedback on my overclock for an E5450 on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L. It's currently at 424*9 = 3.81GHz at 1.275v in BIOS with 1:1 FSB:RAM and timings 5-5-5-15 (2x 2GB G.Skill DDR2-800 1.8v sticks at 1.9v). I got an error in prime when I tried FSB 434 (3.9GHz.) with all other settings the same. Am I thermally limited yet? I'm not really sure whether to believe these temperatures or which program - what is the Tj max for these CPUs? Do you think it's necessary...
Apparently I had flashed the wrong BIOS (thought it had microcodes modded in). It's working fine now with a proper modded BIOS.
I'm having a strange issue. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L with an E5450 that I just installed, and Windows 8.1 won't boot. This install worked just fine hours ago (had a C2D E5200 in it). It always starts up with "Preparing Automatic Repair" and I managed to catch it giving an "Error Code: 0x000000C4" before automatically rebooting. I just tested and have the same issue with a Windows 8.1 installer USB drive, however a Hiren's Boot CD XP install boots just fine.
Most likely. Make sure your BIOS is up to date to support 45nm Quads before attempting it. For best results, update your BIOS to one modded with the 771 microcodes.
Reporting success on my Gigabyte P35-DS3L with an E5450, including SSE4.1 support. I had a couple slips on the mobo while cutting and just decided to go ahead and try the filing method. A little nerve-racking taking a file to a CPU, especially since there was some metal showing through the sides once I had finished. Hopefully tomorrow I'll report back on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3L with another E5450.
I was leaning towards it. I may actually try it out on both anyway though - I have 3 E5450s to play with (and a spare P35 board). The second, less overclockable rig will be put to use as a less power-hungry (than my current one) home server at stock speeds.
I just did the microcode update to the bios of my Gigabyte P35-DS3L and am about to mod the board and install an E5450. I also have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L - would that board overclock any better? It's my understanding P45 is essentially just a die shrink of P35, but there may be other aspects of the board to consider.
An update on my old home server since I just upgraded its storage, RAM, and it no longer lives in a cardboard box. OS: Debian Stable Case: Tray CPU: 4x Opteron 8431 2.4GHz hexacores Motherboard: Supermicro H8QME-2+ Memory: 32GB (16x 2GB) DDR2-667 ECC Registered PSU: Corsair CX750M OS HDD: Old WD 160GB laptop hard drive Storage: 2x Toshiba 5TB in a ZFS mirror and 2x Samsung F3 1TB in a ZFS mirror (probably retiring these soon) Cooling: 4x Cooler Master Hyper TX-3 I use it...