Posts by NoAffinity

Do these new boards allow for FSB adjustement, or merely multiplier? I only see that the new chips were overclocked via multiplier, and while higher CPU frequency will increase performance, higher operating frequency+higher FSB will yield the best performance...
Yes, you will see some additional bandwidth, from a RAM>CPU divider. See RAM101, I posted up some results of 1:1 compared to 3:4 (or 4:5, can't remember for sure, and too lazy to look for myself).
If you have a different hard drive you could swap in real quick, even with win98 or something, that would help to eliminate it. Also, if the PSU is resting on the heat sink, possibly the sink is not fully seating on the CPU. RAM, while a lack of it could hurt performance, would not cause shutdowns unless it is improperly configured. Check the manufacturer's rated timings and voltage, and ensure BIOS timings and voltage are manually set to those recommended. If you...
If you want the ability to hit 3.8 (not saying the CPU will do it, but this will remove the RAM from the equation as a limiting factor), you will want DDR2-533/PC2-4200 at least. Then again, the newer chipsets do offer RAM>CPU dividers, so going for even faster RAM will allow you to achieve even higher bandwidht, if the RAM supports (say) a 3:4 divider. Out of the components listed, I'm not sure about Asus PSU's, but these three are all top...
Dual heater core(s) are a much better choice than BIX's. If cooling something else in the loop (altho not recommended, as Pinhead-227 said), I would route it so the other cooled component precedes the TEC. Even then, TEC temps are going to be slightly affected, but if you've got said component getting hot water from the TEC, then temps will be worse than air.
Quote: Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist Keep in mind that the 770 runas at 2.13ghz stock devided by a FSB of 133. Equals 16... So multiply 16 by 200 and you get 3.2ghz You will need to hit 3.2ghz in order for you to be able to use the locks. I would recomend a 740 up to 760 just to be safe. 760 is almost pushing it. And by all means dont get the dothans that end with a 5!! If you do you will eb stuck with an insanely high multi and that will...
If that's your CPU's max, see if you can't run 3:4. You might need to loosen timings to 3-4-4-8 to do so.
Quote: Originally Posted by MAXX Please tell me this is a northwood core CPU becuase if it is not pressy should top at 1.52. I would assume so, as 2.4 is the lowest Prescott.
1.65v? That should produce substantially higher temps...even with good air, water, or whatever cooling, I would expect a minimum of 5-10C with that kind of vcore increase...
VID is voltage ID. If you have the option to enable or disable, then disabling it will prevent BIOS from detecting the CPU's VID, and should allow manual adjustment. Some BIOS'es lable their vcore with this, and this may be your voltage adjustment option.