Posts by Melcar

Yeah, I've been reading about having symbolic links to folders inside a HDD, where I would keep all the large stuff like movies files and music while still being able to keep /home on the SSD. /home without all my media folders is 132GB right now.
I don't want to put /var on the SSD since there is really no need to. /var also contains some files that are needed at boot, hence the reason some people say it's not recommended to move it to /tmpfs. /home will mostly have just data and used for storage. My binaries will be in /usr and the like. And as pointed out, it will make it easier when doing OS upgrades.
So I just got my new 240GB HyperX SSD. Gonna wait until Kubuntu 14.10 comes out to use it. Setup will be the SSD + the 2TB HDD I'm using currently. Plan on the following partion scheme: SSD: - / HDD: - /home - /var - /tmp - /swap Deciding right now on the proper sizes for the partitons. Swap I plan to leave at 2GB (maybe 4GB). My system has 32GB of RAM and never has it gone to swap. I don't hibernate, only suspend to RAM. Currently the largest my /var folder has...
Replacing that CRT would be a sin.
I don't know. A lot of popular Linux distros end up with smaller install footprints. They also have widespread hardware support (more often than not better than Windows), full desktop usability, and usually come with a lot more bundled software than Windows. Windows, starting with XP, has always been a hog in this regard.
AMD already does this, and we still have ways of getting our vBIOS tweaked. Nothing will change much from this. Not in the Windows and proprietary worlds. Nvidia already said they will talk with the nouveau team to work something out. Not that the nouveau devs. can do anything about it though.
Well, the signature would prevent any "illegal" and "unauthorized" changes, so in order for whatever program you use to modify vBIOS files to work it would have to circumvent the signature. There would be also the problem of drivers not recognizing cards without the signature. Of course, the internet is a great place and I'm sure someone will come with a hack of some kind eventually. Yes, this is mostly a form of IP protection and to curtail all those "fake" GPUs, and...
Yeah, but AMD has AtomBIOS and actually helps out in Mesa. No surprise that they are doing this. Nvidia as a company has always given the impression as a control freak. This won't really hurt them, since the bulk of their Linux driven sales are from pros, who just use the blob anyway.
Thinking of getting a new monitor. Quality screens in Mexico are expensive and most are 16:9 panels. Been eyeing this 24" Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LS24D390HL/ZN Anyone has experience with PLS panels? Supposedly they are comparable to IPS. Not that I need IPS/PLS anyway. Uses are light gaming (mostly RPGs), web browsing, ocasional movies, and some coding.
Check your mount? Also, what are your room and case temps?