Posts by Starbomba

I am looking for a way more mobile sig rig (dat watercooling ain´t light, yo) since new job doesn't let me stay for long at one place. I use VM´s, really huge Excel sheets (50 MB+ files) and i game on my time off. The screen size i'm looking is at 15-16'', and nothing below 1080p, I do not have any brand loyalty for Laptops, but here is what i'd like: - Under $1500. - Must be from Amazon - i7 Quadcore - 8+ GB RAM (no matter which laptop i get, i plan to upgrade it to 16...
I'm looking for a quality x58 motherboard in mATX size. Must be in fully working order, and must have I/O backplate, any other accessories/box is optional. Shipping would be to US48. In order of preference: - Rampage III Gene - Ramapge II Gene - EVGA x58 Micro Thanks for watching.
I'm looking for a quality x58 motherboard in mATX size. Must be in fully working order, and must have I/O backplate, any other accessories/box is optional. Shipping would be to US48. In order of preference: - Rampage III Gene - EVGA x58 Micro - Ramapge II Gene Thanks for watching.
Those are the only ones. It still gives the same amount of PCI-E, SATA III and USB 3.0 ports. Considering most users can't tell the real-world difference between SSD's in SATA ports (and I mean anything from SATA I to SATA III), I doubt SATA-E or M.2 would be huge deal breakers, at least on desktops.
The Ramapges have no NF200, I have the RIIIE and I doesn't have it, neither does the RIIIBE. I know the EVGA Classy does, and the Gigabyte X58 UD9.A clear indicator that a mobo has it is that it says it can do 4-way SLI. Most other X58 mobos can only do 3-way SLI even if they have 4 PCI-E x16 ports (the Rampages need the ROG Xpander to do 4-way SLI)
Awesome build! I still have my W3530 over here, was able to take it to 4.4 GHz on a RIIIE, also took it to 3 GHz @ 0.970v HT on, and 3 GHz @ 0.955v HT off (so it just sips power, y'know, like an HTPC should... ). Need to look for another mobo to place it (wrecked the pins on the RIIIE) but it's a hella good CPU. Looking forward to see how this ends.
I had a W3530 (i7-930 equivalent) @ 4.1 GHz with Xfire 7970's, and i did not had any issues, either on games, benchmarks or even scaling. What games/benchmarks are you running? Most things do not benefit at all form PCI-E 3.0. Is your CPU pegged at 100%? If the CPU is at 100% but the GPU is at 80% then you have a problem. Also, is your GPU downclocking on games? It might be overheating on them, making it downclock itself.
I was going to jump to Haswell-E, but I might take a small detour with a Z97 mATX/mITX mobo and one of these lil things, then get it deep underwater
I did some benchmarking myself (screenshots on last page) and got to the same conclusion. I would believe it's the SSD. But as I said before, for $40 I can't complain, and it is still faster than a platter HDD.Also, remember it is the "basic" XLR8 version which may have fewer NAND chips of another brand, it is not the XLR8 PRO with Intel NAND which is advertised on PNY page.
Well, it is "slow" (it also was $40, i did not have too high hopes), but heck, my old Mushkin Chronos was faster than this on a SATA II connection. And it's supposed to be the same controller. All testing was done on my sig rig "The Little Bottleneck that Could" on the Intel SATA III controller Here is an old benchmark i did of my Mushkin Chronos SSD on my $20 Nuclear Submarine rig, which only has Intel SATA II controllers. Cannot run them again as the SSD itself is...