Posts by Sin0822

Are you having trouble installing Intel's ME driver? There is a hotfix you need to install or else it will error out.
You should also add speakers to that list hahaha. But, I totally understand where you are coming from. There are two reasons i see for buying this over a comparable ultrabook.First reason is Price: That i7 Skylake SoC with Iris Pro is in itself quite expensive (almost $450 tray price), not to mention the Intel TB controller. This NUC lets you customize a little bit as well and gamers aren't charged for that tiny 15-17" screen, instead they will probably commandeer a screen...
ActuallyActually, Intel said it is for taking place to place. When they first showed us the product (I also got the touch it and feel it's weight) they mentioned that portability was a big factor in the design. It looks to me that they stayed within the volume constraints of the NUCs that have space for HDDs (the ones that are closer to a true cube), except that extra height that is usually on a NUC was moved to the side and filled with a hefty cooler. The device is as...
Yea, Intel's use of the USB Type-C connector is a very nice move, finally moving away from a proprietary connector is great. However, as we have already seen there will be a lot of confusion for the normal consumer when it comes to purchasing cables and supporting devices. Hopefully, USB-IF or another body will better regulate the knock-offs.
Actually I had seen external GPu enclosures back in 2012 at trade shows, they just never took off. Since ThunderBolt 3 came out more have jumped on the bandwagon.
Are you referencing Mantle?
Yup, XConnect uses Thunderbolt 3. It wouldn't make sense for Intel to shun one of two big players in the discrete GPU market (especially since AMD was willing to use TB3 instead of their own tech). Intel and AMD have a much closer history than most people think. I think as the public we sometimes figure these companies compete on all levels at all costs, while in reality their decisions are purely based on calculated profit margins which in many cases are improved by...
Yup exactly. There are predictions that as the gap between CPU and system memory speeds increases more levels of cache will be added to compensate. Hopefully newer technologies will come through in terms of closing the gap, but it seems that everyone is focusing on density (Xpoint for example) rather than latency. I was excited about HMC when i first saw it roughly 4-5 years ago at my first IDF, but I guess it never became popular.
The eDRAM (it's codename is Crystal Well if you are interested, and it's implementation in the 5775C has been tweaked for the Skylake variant) acts as a level 4 cache and not a DRAM replacement or normal buffer.The difference lies in what cache does. Cache is meant to speed up CPU access to memory (RAM). The problem is that the CPu can handle a lot more data than the RAM can spit out at any given time. Caches work to help improve CPU access to memory by acting as a...
So Intel names their NUC series with the CPU generation followed by the type of SoC. So the latest Skylake based NUCs are NUC6i3 or NUC6i5 (the i7 will be Skull Canyon). https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Intel+NUC6i&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AIntel+NUC6iOther vendors do have their own NUC-style devices using Intel's 6th generation, such as the BRIX using i7 Skylake 6500 (I actually have one here for review)....