Posts by tpi2007

I wouldn't use that PSU if I were you. That one should go straight into the trash can, simply because it's too old. It's too much of a risk for all the components you took so much time and care and money to find. That's the one area where going retro only makes sense if you have the skills to open up a PSU and see if everything is both quality and still up to the task and be able to replace components as needed. In any case, being certified for the P4 means it's not period...
We still don't know about that part of Ryzen and Windows 7 not having security updates post release. You are correct about automatic updates; pretty much all future rollups with include the unsupported CPU check, so it's a no go, but downloading and installing the standalone security only updates (OS, IE and .NET Framework) from the Update Catalog site should work.
DDR4 3600 Mhz, which also clocks the CCX link higher, seems to be the goal for realising the performance.If you don't upgrade that often, why don't you wait and see? If you're considering a 4C/4T 7600K, why don't you buy a second hand 4C/8T 3770K instead and try to clock it around 4.5 Ghz? You'll end up in the same place and it's a better deal than having to buy into a new platform + RAM. That should give you some time to see how things go. I'm all for making the most of a...
Source.So many lost billions and a convoluted exchange and returns inside double shielded packages programs because of an incessant willingness to make locked down devices. If this smartphone had a user replaceable battery only a very small fraction of this would have happened. The battery has a problem? It's too big to expand inside the phone enclosure? Take it to the shop, exchange it for a new, slightly smaller one for free + get $10 for the reduced capacity and...
Let's not conflate using and enjoying an OS that we paid for and that is still under extended support with "bluffing" and "flinching". That is playing their game. I will move away from their ecosystem unless they change their ways (unlikely, but anything is possible). But it's when I want to.Moving away now is probably what they want; people suffering an economic loss for not using the product that they paid for until the end, instead of them having to pay for the server...
If it's just for web browsing the extra capacity will make more of a difference than the speed. Assuming you have the tabs open to justify it, of course. If you need to, I don't think you'll have problems with them all working at 800 Mhz. Intel's DDR2 memory controller isn't very picky. I can't speak for different speeds, but I've had two 4 GB kits from different brands in a Gigabyte P45 motherboard, and even though they were the same speed, they had different latencies,...
As Ceadderman said above, that is a pick up on location price and it's not official nor in practice in other places. Intel's recommended price range for the i7-7700K is $339-$350, as you can read here on their Ark site.And even at $299, when the 1600X and 1600 are released, it will arguably be still too expensive to be the clear choice. Until now you could still make the argument of the Microcenter price vs the more expensive Ryzen 7's. But how will that pan out when in...
Yes, overclocking wise you got a good one on it. It may be the chip and/or the motherboard not allowing you to get more (the board is good, but that model isn't for high-end overlcocking), but still that's a pretty decent OC you've got from what is essentially a revised entry level Core 2 Duo. The only thing I'd advise you to get in case you browse with a lot of open tabs is to double the RAM to 8 GB. Going for the Q6600 is not a good idea for a web browsing machine. It...
And it's not bad, it's just priced too high. Well, they are planning on releasing a Skylake Xeon Gold with 1 MB of L2 cache per core, and from what we've seen with Broadwell's 128 MB L4 cache, their arch certainly has some performance and smoothness juice left that they can explore if they feel the need.For now things seem calm, but coming next month, I don't know, but it seems that a big part of Intel's lineup stops making sense at the current pricing. Their only 3 CPUs...
This is a more believable rumour for enthusiast desktop usage. Still, just like with Xeons, people using workstations that need more cores and can live with a lower clockspeed will probably be able to buy an equivalent from AMD with 16C/32T.