Posts by NeighborhoodGeek

I'd be using it for a PC I'm piecing together for a friends son. He's a 10 year old kid that can kick my butt at any game we play together, however, his 360 just died. His mom can't afford to replace the console, and his Christmas gifts have been bought for 3 months already and don't include a console. So I'm trying to piece together a rig for him using what I have laying around, a few parts that friends donated, and buying a few parts here and there. I still need a GPU,...
The combo's and bundles are usually a great way to get a decent CPU/mobo combo for a worthwhile price. To find them, just look at the CPU page, and below the main pic and info it says "May we suggest". There you'll find combo deals for the CPU you are looking at.If you have the means to test it before you have bought everything and assemble it, do it. It could save a last minute headache.Performance to price, I'd go with AMD. You can get a more modern/faster CPU for your...
Just about everything in my sig rig I bought used, Mobo and PSU came from OCN folks, and the rest I either bought used on Ebay, or new from Newegg/Best Buy.RAM I would definitely buy used. You'll get better quality for your money.HDD I'd get new/refurb with a warranty.GPU's are iffy to buy used. Again, an OCN seller or a friend would be best, but I've had both good and bad luck buying them used on Ebay.Mobo and CPU you could get in a combo on Newegg, The new AMD AM3+ and...
Gone.
Good advice.
Weak GPU is what I want to avoid.As long as I can game with it for MOST games for the next few years, or have the ability to upgrade the GPU. (not sure if that's a common thing or not.)I will definitely be picking up a good cooler. From previous experience owning standard laptops that got hot, I'm sure a gaming laptop gets much, much hotter.I don't have a lot of issues with eye strain and never have with any monitor except CRT's when I'm sitting too close.For writing I'll...
Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at both of those yesterday, and both would probably work.Like I said, I want to switch for the convenience of taking my games with me and to save space in my apartment.Anyone have any cheaper suggestions?
Basically, I'm thinking of selling my rig and getting a laptop for the convenience of being able to take my games with me, and to save space. What should I get? It's been a few years since I had any interest in laptops, so I'm not really up to snuff on the new stuff. What is your maximum budget? - $750 - $1200 but cheaper is always better. What country are you in? - US What will be the uses of this laptop? - Gaming, writing, graphic design, web browsing, and random...
I would like to win this because I currently only have OTA channels, and live in a rural area, so that leaves me to PBS only. Our PS3 died last month, taking away the Netflix and Hulu we were dependent on to serve as our living room entertainment. My wife has been laid up due to medical reasons for a while now, and rarely leaves the bedroom because there is no reason for her to come into the living room when she can use her Kindle from bed. We cannot afford a new PS3, much...
It just keeps getting better... When do you start on mine?