Posts by 996gt2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8327/browser-faceoff-battery-life-explored-2014 Anandtech Browser Faceoff: Battery Life Explored 2014 /thread
Still waiting on AMD to make a processor that is faster than a 3.5-year old 2600K. Seriously, the lack of innovation from AMD is stunning.
Glad to see 5.25" drive bays are on their way out. I have a USB optical drive for those few times when I need a DVD drive. I've used it maybe 3 times in the past year.
Great, so AMD systems will have even more driver problems in the future than they do now.
That's why I'm glad that I picked up 24GB (6x4gb sticks) back in the day!
Still not as good as the legendary Samsung Greens, which overclock better, don't have the gimmicky heatspreader, and are low profile so they never have clearance issues. And they first came out more than 2 years ago.
I've had my Samsung 830 installed for a while and have noticed the "POR Recovery Count" SMART attribute going up over time. It's currently at 116. Does anyone know what this parameter means and if it has any influence on drive life? It looks like there is no threshold set for this value, so I'm guessing it has no effect, but I just wanted to check.
Back in the day Intel had their Pentium 4 and dual-core Pentium D chips. They were like the equivalent of AMD's FX line today. The Pentium 4/Pentium D chips were power-hungry, had low IPC, and put out a ton of heat. AMD's socket 939 Athlon X2s were more efficient, and had higher IPC. With the performance lead in their hands, AMD was free to charge whatever they wanted, and they sure charged a pretty penny.I do have to bring up one point. Intel has had the performance lead...
Here's the price chart for AMD's Athlon X2 CPUs around the time they first came out in 2005. Suddenly those 6-core Socket 2011 Core i7s don't look so expensive anymore, do they?If you still think Intel's pricing is "too greedy", take a look at this Anandtech article about Conroe when it first came out (link below). It's a bit of a long read, but it's a very good read if you want to learn a bit more about one of the most exciting product launches in recent CPU history....
Uhh, you do realize that back in the day when AMD had the performance crown, they charged $1000 for their high end FX chips like the FX-55 and FX-57, right? When I built my first PC, even the lowest-end AMD Athlon X2 cost $350+.AMD is no different from Intel. The only reason AMD is cheaper right now is because they are FORCED to lower prices due to their worse performance and power efficiency. Think about it logically. If the FX-8320 cost the same as a 4770K, NOBODY...