Posts by burticus

Datacenter engineer. 50% physical labor and fiber/ethernet cable runs. 50% planning, documenting, and admin the UCS, ESXi, and SAN gear. I enjoy it, but in my mid-40's my back doesn't enjoy the heavy lifting and bending over as much anymore. In the future I'd like to focus more on the SAN and UCS aspects so someday I can pass the heavy lifting off to younger guys. Pros : Pays well and the hours are good. I did a decade+ of windows server support and I don't miss that...
Nice! Still a little rich for me but I like the trend. I think a subtle curve 40" 4K @ 60hz+ with HDMI and DP is a winner.
Sure.... "hacked". Not like anyone was up all night drinking and decided to fire up the twitter... because no one ever does that, ever.
Subscribed and have popcorn standing by. @quovadis123 : Yeah I would have preferred a 40" too but it seems the cheaper 4K TV's make for not so great monitors. I'm curious as to how these turn out, they might make for good replacements for my 27" 1440p monitors... and with any luck would fit on the same VESA stand. I wish someone would hurry up and make a 4K 40" curved ultrawide monitor (like the 34" ultrawide gaming ones) but it would probably cost over a grand anyway.
@ quovadis123 Let us know how it turns out! Sorry that my post led you to spend cash
$389 on Newegg flash right now, free shipping http://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIA4JH4R92713 I'm still scared tho. Waiting for Asus / Acer something with some domestic US presence. Need to keep telling myself 1440p is just fine for now. Repeat in my sleep....
@parityboy Thanks, I'll try the LSI megaraid route. The H700 supports 8 drives. It has 2 SAS connectors, and you can use 2 4 way SAS to SATA cables ($10 or less on Amazon, Ebay, etc). I think I ordered 2 but I misplaced one somewhere. I was concerned about using it in a non-Dell system with non-Dell drives, but no issues so far (I think most of those issues were corrected in an earlier firmware). Edit - Hey the Megaraid software works! Downloaded 16.02, it...
Kind of a necro thread but I thought I'd put this out there... I got an old used server pull H700 and put it in my homebrew server, Asrock mobo 970M (fx8320e). Current firmware A13 wouldn't work, but I got A11 to flash ok. Works fine with 4 x 6TB Toshiba drives, running raid 5 on windows 10 no sweat in a 18TB GPT drive. I had to buy an SAS to SATA cable ($10) and rig up a card support, it may be worth it to order one of the $5 PCI slot covers with mounting screws. At...
Like Mtrai said, this is currently on sale at Newegg for $389. I think if I wanted duals to use for work/productivity, this could be a winner. But for me at home, mostly gaming, surfing etc... I think I'd like a 40". But my 1440p monitors will have to hang tough for a while longer until the price/size works out... also buying monitors off Ebay directly from Korea scares me. It's OK, call me a baby. I'd like to wait until availability in the US picks up too.
Go into BIOS and turn off UEFI Secure boot and enable Legacy mode under the boot options? I couldn't get a new Dell to boot off a USB until I did that.