Posts by Mookster

How long does it take to mine a coin these days?
I remember hearing about an example of latent evolutionary traits where a certain common tree was threatened by a massive spike in the population of a certain species which ate it's foliage. The tree ended up having a trait where it would begin producing a potent poison once getting pushed to a certain threshold, and this poison basically killed half the ecosystem. They dug up the area and found that this tree had performed these massive defensive killing sprees hundreds...
Isn't it highly beneficial for certain insects to spread a certain amount of semi-potent disease? It's weird how they say "We found that small genetic variation within species -- as well as many insects' tendency to inbreed -- can seriously impact the effectiveness of attempts to reduce their numbers using CRISPR technology". Small genetic variation is a consequence of trait dominant inbreeding at the "inbreeding" level of analysis. If you want more genetic variation in...
Good, so we're done with trying to justify this as a move for Apple to control public image? And we're done trying to argue that repair-instruction pdf's and the sale of replacement parts / tools will somehow be astronomical?Your final argument on security is still not adding up, for reasons I outlined earlier. You're essentially claiming that individual devices which have been repaired with third-party parts (and third-party firmware) pose a threat to the entire Apple...
That's the ideal, not the reality. It's important to make this distinction, because we have two conflicting ideals here -- the market is actually a compromise between freedom of choice for consumers, and freedom of conduct for market entities.Freedom of choice for consumers is hindered by copyright law, insider trading, market entry price, legal representation budget, liquid capital differences between competitors, and a whole host of other things. Despite the fact that we...
It'd be fine to be known as "the hard to repair phones". I agree that would be preferable to the "phones that never work right and have no warranty" -- however, why only Apple? Why wouldn't this apply to virtually any consumer item? Does nVidia get to prevent you from playing at below 120FPS, because they don't want people to say their cards are choppy? Does the car manufacturer put a software lock on your vehicle after it's been fitted with aftermarket replacement parts...
"I'm not dismissive, they are just flat out wrong"I wrote a response that addresses your specific points, and offered direct counter points to illustrate where the interests of the consumer and the interests of the manufacturer are in direct conflict. Why did I do this, instead of just saying you're "flat-out wrong"? Because this is not an issue where you can dismiss either side of the argument.From here you've merely reiterated everything you said in the first post,...
Bear in mind, Apple phones are needlessly difficult to repair; other manufacturers have similarly specced and similarly sized phones yet have still been able to make their phones repair- friendly. It's not as though screen replacements are infrequently needed -- screen repair is a huge consumer need, and Apple has done nothing on a design level to quicken/cheapen the repair process. Why? Because they have no incentive to do so. This legislation provides the needed...
I think their perspective could be a natural consequence of the job -- while they may be concerned about how their actions reflect on their image, they're better off pretending that consumer opinion is some benevolent force of nature rather than casually related to consumer will. The language they use insinuates that consumers don't formulate their own opinions in the first place -- because of this presupposition, it doesn't appear as though their intent is to circumvent...
Some truth here, but you're far too dismissive of the (valid) reasons that consumers need alternative choices for repair. You'd be forced to come to a different conclusion if you took the time to anticipate and resolve consumer issues, rather than only illustrating the position of manufacturers.You touch on the negative effect this will have on the "device ecosystem". While true, it doesn't seem self-evident, to me, that Apple should have any control over the condition of...