Posts by Mookster

Great idea! I wasn't sure what to do with my spare Titan. It was free anyway.
Same logical fallacy. A sample size difference, whether performance differences are large or small, will still result in heavily influencing which chip most heavily populates the leaderboards. Just because you see 4 GK110's for every 1 Hawaii, doesn't mean that GK110's achieve high clocks 4 times as often as Hawaii. It could simply mean there are 4 times the number of GK110 cards in the test beds. There are also other factors. Do NV customers spend their money more freely,...
780 Ti is good competition for the 290X. NV driver superiority no longer exists, though. Performance pitfalls and compatibility failures are pretty equal across the board for both brands, however the majority of reviewers are reporting smoother and more enjoyable gameplay experiences from AMD due to frametime superiority in multi GPU setups.
No, this is an influencing factor in the results, regardless of which one is faster. If GK110 is faster, it'll appear even faster than it is because of your method of comparison. If it's slower, it'll still appear faster than it is. But hey, if GK110 and Hawaii are roughly equal, then 75% of the top 50 will still be GK110 if 75% of the test bed is GK110. And here's a happy coincidence: that's usually exactly what we see.Edit: To summarize, you can't derive standard...
They excluded Just Cause 2 and Far Cry 3 where AMD failed to launch completely. They removed those because it would heavily (and wrongfully) impact a chart where they're trying to derive average performance from all tests they did. In BF4 NV still launched, but scaled downwards as the GPU count went up. I think they should have excluded BF4 as well, personally.If you added Just Cause 2 and Far Cry three where 4 entries for AMD performance would have been 0 FPS, it's pretty...
It's not really an argument. It's math. When you're looking at the top 'X' percentile of benchmark performers in a situation where the performance depends on a lottery, you can't compare which chip has a better chance of winning that lottery when they don't make up equal parts of the test bed. If 75% of those cards are GK110, then 75% of the cards in the top 50 will be GK110 cards and most likely they'll earn the number one spot.And not only that, but your whole premise is...
It's too much of an assumption to say that AMD took 9 months to put out a card that could compete with Titan. In all likelihood, it took AMD nearly that entire time to even decide they wanted to compete with GK110. AMD's been sticking to a small die strategy for so long that Hawaii seemed very much out of character.In terms of capability, I wouldn't be too quick to say AMD is on the backfoot. Financially, though, they are. Hawaii manages to still be considerably smaller...
.Throttling was a big downfall that no one excused with the 290X's release. I don't think GK110 deserved any mercy now.Not a great counter argument, but your argument wasn't very good in the first place.We all know that enthusiast forums have a much larger population of NV enthusiasts. There are simply more NV cards on the market, and when we're talking about overclocking (which I guess we are now?) it's pretty obvious that a larger test bed has a greater potential for...
Honestly, I only said AMD is the only viable option to stir up a bit of interest. In thread after thread, I see dozens of posts nonchalantly saying AMD GPU's can't compete, they're irrelevant, can't perform, or whatever. The last week or so I've been addressing these, mostly seeing my posts removed for being off-topic, or seeing the threads closed. It's rather annoying. But no, I don't think NV is irrelevant. I like NV products, but AMD is performing apples to apples in...
See below.Here's a good summery. Now, I post this, and I only want to say these cards push comparable framerates in multi-GPU setups. Given that fact, along with AMD's smoother, stutterless gameplay and cheaper prices, isn't it hard to deny that they reign supreme in ultra high end setups? I have no problem saying it; and I'll say it every time I see someone say that AMD is irrelevant (which is exactly what made me say it in this thread.)I usually don't make such bold...