Posts by Mookster

This isn't a microwave oven or steam engine. The idea to put all the current graphics processing components into a single graphics processing unit is far from original. It was an idea so common that consumers were calling for it at the time. I specifically remember thinking "I wish someone would just put together a single graphics unit so I don't have to deal with these ridiculous compatibility problems." It wasn't an invention; it was just a natural next-step. It's no...
I said that their patent on GPU's in general shouldn't exist: "Asserted Patents, such as graphics processing on a single semiconductor platform."Ridiculous patent.The other patents could also be quite ridiculous depending on if they're talking about their specific implimentations, or just the general concept for each. But like I said, you'll be hard-pressed to find a forum member or jury who'll know if they've cloned these technologies or created their own alternative....
It's amazing how quickly people assume that nVidia's claims are any more substantial than Samsung's. I wouldn't be so quick to paint nVidia the victim here, considering the fact that Tegra is currently getting stomped by it's competitors. Motivation and timing make me very skeptical of this. Myself, all of you, and any jury would be hard pressed to understand if there are actual infringements within the architecture. The patent nVidia seems to have over the just GPU's in...
I make this happen. (Oil/gas frac flowback.)
I'm sure they knew they were opening this can of worms when they started all this. Hopefully they've done their homework and bolstered their roster of lawyers. I doubt this'll turn out in their favor, though.
Mantle is for the benefit of AMD, by being a benefit of Intel, AMD and nVidia consumers. See the difference? You're not Intel, you're not nVidia, and you're not AMD. You're a consumer.That's why it's not a public project with Intel and nVidia. Why on Earth would AMD want nVidia to be an investing authority on the direction of Mantle? It'd be an absolutely unworkable relationship probably resulting in the cratering of the entire project. If it were handed over to a...
You accuse my of being a blind AMD fanboy, and then go on to point out how bad Mantle is for nVidia. I'm not sure if you see the irony, but I digress simply to say: you are not nVidia; you are a consumer. What's bad for nVidia is irrelevant to you. What's bad for nVidia, in all likelihood, is good for you.There's open source, and there's non-proprietary, and then there's proprietary. Mantle sits in the middle -- nVidia users can take advantage of Mantle if they're given...
Yeah, my bad. Was looking at Canadian Newegg/Amazon.Even still, that's a $230 premium. And as shown many times, Hawaii's main heat issue is the reference cooler (heat dissipation, not so much heat production.) The power draw is high on both Maxwell and Hawaii, and the difference between the two for that performance level is fairly insignificant. Far less significant than the fact that you can afford Crossfire 290X's for a mere $100 over the price of a 980 GTX.A better...
Math fail: If a 980 GTX is 50% faster than a 7970, than two 7970's will be 33.3% faster than the 980 GTX (and they are.) Sorry, had to point that out before moving on.Time fail: The 7970 came out Jan 9th 2012, that's nearly 3 years now. Pricewise yes, it was pretty easy to pick up a brand new aftermarket $300 7970 after the 680 GTX and 7970 GHz Edition release (Jun 22, 2012.) What 's the difference between a GHz Edition and a normal 7970 to an overclocker? There isn't one....
Even in North America I can't find a 980 GTX for less than $600 while I can find good aftermarket 290X's for $320. That's nearly double the price for apples to apples performance and for what?I didn't realize they were so expensive. I was recommending a 980 GTX to everyone who asked until finally someone was like "but why's it worth so much more than the 290X?"Hawaii is undoubtedly the best performance value right now.