Posts by Mookster

So are they optimizing their false advertising, or? I don't think the performance pitfalls over 3.5GB are the only thing people are taking issue with. People are also taking issue with the fact that they were intentionally mislead. The premise set by what NV did with the 970 is a very upsetting one. What will it be next time? 20% of your shaders running at 20% speed? Maybe next time just half of your RAM will be usable. No one should be looking on the "bright side" of...
If this was intentional, nVidia probably knew it could come to light, and they probably had their lawyers involved before ever screwing over these 970 owners. I'm sure they were confident that the benefits of all this would outweigh the consequences for them. If it wasn't intentional, wow. But no, it was intentional.
I wouldn't be so eager to call it an insanely low price. 28nm is very mature, and we'd had the same old chips on the market for a very long time prior to Maxwell's launch. Consider the (still) long overdue die shrink, and the performance/efficiency increases we should have had from those already, and suddenly even the 970 seems like a bit of a rip off. Graphics card advancement as a whole has been slower than ever, including Maxwell. We need shrinks.
HBM will skyrocket test scores for areas where memory bandwidth is saturated. It only makes sense that benchmark suites will favor these new AMD cards, but don't count on that translating directly to gaming performance.
It would be modest to say that AMD is on par with NV in the driver department, these days. Ask Kepler owners how they feel about NV all but abandoning driver optimization for them, the day Maxwell was launched. Take a look at SLI frame pacing compared to bridgeless Crossfire. Ponder what marginal performance leads mean, when that optimization gets dumped? When was the last time AMD released a driver that bricked cards? Howabout NV?Both teams will always have driver issues....
Close isn't good enough. Hopefully AMD knows this.The 7970 was "close" to the 680, and was completely dismissed. The 290X was "close" the 780 Ti and was completely dismissed. The 290X is still "close" to the 980, and is completely dismissed in spite of ringing it at nearly half the price. Price doesn't get remember, and "close" is a default win for NV in the average consumer's eyes.If AMD wants a win, they need a dramatic one. Personally, I think they stand to earn more in...
It's the 390x obviously. 300W 14nm with HBM. Optimism.
I, for one, am excited about the fact that this card weighs in at 300W. HBM is far more efficient than GDDR5, and at the very least we know this card will feature architecture improvements found in Tonga which will again improve efficiency pretty drastically. Those two facts, along with the fact that it's coming in with a 300W requirement, makes me excited. This GPU is pushing the limits of 28nm, undoubtedly. They're giving us a true monster. Moreover, I doubt this chip...
Maxwell is the first real architecture release in three years. "Simply amazing" is not an accurate assessment when you consider how stagnant the x86 graphics market has been. Maxwell is what I'd expect from either side, given 3 years on the same fab process. AMD, meanwhile, seems to be holding out for a shrink.No one gets my money until there's a shrink.
I once did 107 sixteen-hour days without a day off in the oil and gas industry. People adjust; the demands of the job are not so atrocious. It sounds considerably more comfortable than my job, which is mentally/physically demanding, extremely dangerous, and requires longer hours served in isolation (often living in temporary "camps" because it's too far from home to return nightly.) What is atrocious, however, is their compensation.