Posts by Mookster

It's not about "enough." We keep these GPU's for more than a day. A part of the reason I buy AMD is because I like high-res setups. I hit the VRAM wall with my 6970's at 2560x1440. I hit it now with my 7970's at 7680x1440. Usually I hit the VRAM wall before the performance wall.
I'm not getting my hopes up, but this would certainly explain why NV is being so aggressive with the 900 series right now. The 980 and 970 are genuinely the best buy for their respective price segments; it's out of character for NV to give up their premium pricing (especially considering they have a superior product at the moment.) I suspect they're trying to seize the market in lieu of AMD's 300 series. A 300 series with HBM on 20nm would be just the thing to provoke the...
Quite nice.
All of this is moot when Tonga rings in at a price reflective of it's performance, relative to Maxwell. That's the point people seem to miss so easily. The 980M, like most high end NV mobile parts, will likely be a "+$600" option over the AMD "counterpart" (Tonga) as you're customizing your laptop. If this generation follows the trend of many before it, Tonga will be quite appealing regardless of it's underwhelming TDP. I highly doubt Tonga represents the past 2 and 1/2...
(Anand 2006)AMD has been behind the wheel for about a month now, and it's already forgotten that Hawaii dethroned the $1000 Titan for half the price and offered stiff competition for the 780 Ti (for less.) Hawaii was a surprise to everyone, because AMD had officially stated they intended only to compete with small-die GPU's. Of those small die GPU's, we had Tahiti which rendered the 580 moot and stood at the top of the hill for months until GK104 was released, only to...
There's an overwhelmingly common misconception on OCN, where people just assume AMD is aiming (and failing) for the performance crown when they're actually just not competing in that segment at all. AMD decides what segment their GPU is competing in by price, and it seems quite often that people here decide what segment a GPU is in by.. delusion.Tonga will compete in whatever price range it's competing in. It will probably be a better performer in that segment, because...
You do realize that the game is still rendered in real-time, right?The excuses to knock AMD down are reaching new lows, I swear.
I had no idea that most of those games even existed.
AMD said they had no intention of cutting prices, and that the current prices were due to an AIB discount (not an AMD discount.)This is the exact opposite of dishonesty. This is going out of their way to dismiss a journalist error in assuming that AMD were responsible for something that makes them look good.Amusingly, if they just sat back and let themselves get the credit, you wouldn't be here calling them dishonest right now.Because the 290X is still generally a better...
Warcraft II wasn't half of what Starcraft was, though. Starcraft's simplicity, balance, and ease of play opened the door for it to become the most complex and strategic RTS games of all time. Warcraft II never managed to strike that near-perfect balance that made Starcraft such an amazing game.Civilization: Beyond Earth, however, isn't that kind of improvement over Civilization V. It's a new theme, with a few refinements and twists. Not much more, but still a great game...