Posts by Partol

From a "maximize profits" perspective, I think it's a mistake to restrict overclocking on non-k boards. If a person can afford to buy a Z board, he/she probably can afford to buy an unlocked core i5/i7. People who buy non-Z boards (such as me) for overclocking, may be enthusiasts, but most are probably not rich. Why buy a non-Z board except if you can't afford a Z board? A rich enthusiast overclocker would probably buy a high-end motherboard because he understands the...
just finished overclocking my DRAM. Interesting to see how it compares to my old core i3 530 since I still use the same old 2x2GB DDR3 ram. Is 1.6V safe dram voltage for G3258? Currently at 1.6V on dram. Edit: After overclocking the ram, my favorite mmo (Neverwinter) plays much smoother now ,especially when moving and rotating the camera. When an object/entity, which is beyond view range, comes into view, it quickly loads with no stutter, or sometimes just a very tiny...
Thanks for the info. According to this discussion, http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=441 KB3064209 should be avoided. I will hide KB3064209 if I see it in the windows update list. Anything else I should avoid?
Got my new Pentium G3258 and MSI H81M-P33 (with latest bios v1.9) After reconnecting the C drive (running windows 7) to the new motherboard, everything seemed to work fine, except could not overclock. Even a small 100MHz overclock was not possible. Bios would allow the overclock, but windows would not run. windows quit immediately after starting. Did a quick internet search. Read that a fresh windows 7 installation will fix it. And it did! With fresh windows 7...
I just downloaded the Dying Light demo on steam. On my core i3 530 @4GHz, with hyperthreading disabled, soon after leaving the starting room, the game quickly becomes a slide show, followed by long freezes. all graphics settings to off or lowest. After restarting PC with hyperthreading enabled, Dying Light is 100% playable. no slide show. no freeze at all. Searched youtube. found many Dying Light gameplay videos made on G3258 which means it should be playable on a...
4x4GB vs 2x4GB vs 1x4GB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPenpMMJYEI
I just ordered one Pentium G3258 and one MSI H81M-P33 to replace the core i3 530 in my signature. Core i3 530 plays most of my games adequately but lately, it's struggling (less than 20fps) in some mmo's such as Neverwinter. Neverwinter changed in the past year from small groups (dungeons) to large groups (heroic encounters and killing dragons) which causes my core i3 to severely bottleneck. Yesterday, I disabled hyperthreading and played neverwinter and was surprised...
Is this for real? Am I dreaming? I have been waiting 5 years for an overclock-able core i3. hallelujah!
My Intel SSD 330 240GB is still running flawless after 3 years of frequent use re-allocated sectors 0 power-on hours count 912404 power cycle count 2722 program fail count 0 erase fail count 0 unsafe shutdown count 2721 available reserved space 0 media wearout indicator 0 Total LBAs written 9.77 TB Total LBAs read 22.58 TB Total NAND Writes 12735 Everything still at 100% except power cycle count at 98%
Suzanne Vega: easiest for me to discern. Lip/tongue/mouth noises are most clear at highest quality. highest quality sounds worst. LOL Neil Young: I narrowed it down to 2 out of 3, but then picked the 128kbs instead of the uncompressed wav. Coldplay: I based my decision on first half of song which all sound bad. picked the 128kbps should have listened longer. Katy Perry and Jay Z: too many sounds. too hard to concentrate. too messy. can't decide did not choose. Murray...