Posts by Tex1954

Congrats!It's hard to make a lot of points in WCG without tons of cores crunching...
WOW! The GPU performance specification charts say one thing (FP32/FP64 specs), but actual tasks at Folding@home put the R9 Fury X in the same ballpark as a GTX 970... that's bizarre...The disparity between them in FOLDING is one thing, but if we compare against Milkway, AMD is king... Maybe CUDA vs. OpenCL in this case????I have no real answers, only see what results other people get on certain projects on a per GPU basis I guess and go with the flow!
Interesting thing... the charts say one thing, but actually tasks at Folding@home put the R9 Fury X in the same ballpark as a GTX 970...The 970 shows SP-3494 DP-109 vs. the R9 Fury X at SP-7168 DP-448.... so the correlation between FP32/FP64 vs. actual output in an OpenCL task is baffling to say the least. Nvidia seems to be King-Of-The-Road in Folding@Home and I can only suppose that is because of CUDA use or other optimizations.The disparity between them in FOLDING is...
I made a couple mil on the GPU app, but the rest is constant crunching on several machines over these many years... since 2005 I think...
Well, that was over quick... Does anybody know how well an R9 Nano folds compared to 980 Ti?
I was looking at THIS page... Looks like this when all cut down... According to this, be hard pressed to find anything much better than a 7970/280X for DP stuff... SINGLE precision screams on the newer Fury/Nano cards... but DP seems to have suffered...
FINALLY got over 5-mil in WCG !!! Of course, on the WCG website, I have over 35-mil points... funny how they adjust that..
I found a list in Wikipedia of AMD GPU's and they show that the only thing that beats a 7970/R9 280X is the R9 390X so far as FP64 goes. The Nano and such were much slower... Sooo, looks like that the way to go...
Yup, been looking into that... I really like the R9 Nano... but can't find any info about it running Milkyway@home which is what I would get it for...
For Linux later versions, you need to boot with a monitor attached or with a VGA Dummy plug attached. Ever since Ubuntu 10.10 or so (IIRC), the EDIF is no longer simulated and the X-Org drivers won't load without it.