Posts by jackofhearts495

Pretty small sample size
AnandTech Reviews Windows 10
From what I gather,Depends on how squeamish you are about data logging and stuff like that. Win10, from my understanding, has quite a bit of that going on. Check out my post here for more information and ways to disable most of it.Nothing happens to the key -- it's still a Window 8.1 key. When you upgrade to Win10 from 7/8/8.1, you don't actually get a new key. Instead, Win10 uses hardware activation after being upgraded from an activated Win7/8/8.1 OS. You will be...
"Things to remove/disable in windows 10""[GUIDE] How to disable data logging in W10."Those should help mitigate the spyware-ish stuff.
Relevant link: LinusTechTips on Windows 10 Pretty shallow review, but I imagine if he'd discovered other major issues he would have mentioned them.
...context?
If this article is to be believed, you'll be able to upgrade from Home to Pro for $100. Although I don't know if this would require full OS reinstalls.99% sure you just need Home, though.
Disabling Telemetry (source)Open up the Command Prompt by launching cmd as an administrator, and enter the following:Code:sc delete DiagTracksc delete dmwappushserviceecho "" > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etlOpen up the Group Policy Editor by launching gpedit.msc as an administrator. Go through Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds. Double click...
Wear them down! Usually works as long as you're still respectful.
I heard somewhere (I could totally be off here) that Microsoft would generally help you out if you had to change hardware out. A lot of Windows licensing has been tied to hardware for awhile now. I don't see how it's significantly different with Win10.Hopefully Microsoft doesn't just say "Sorry, you now technically have a 'different device', so suck it up."