Posts by wingclip

Thanks, but as I said, I've already ordered the EVGA 1070. I thought the 980 Ti was stronger than the 1070 also, but in my hours of research, I surprised to find it continually fell short of the 1070 in the various reviews and assessments I came upon (but not by any significant amount).Of course, the results of one don't mean it's the same for all. Also, they were comparing about 15 cards (from the R 480 to the GTX 1080 span), using a number of popular video games.I prefer...
Well, due to a “purchase security check” error, Jet.com cancelled my order for the MSI 1070 this morning. I called and straightened the issue and because the order is cancelled, I had to reorder it. However, that worked out great because it was only after I ordered the MSI card yesterday, that I found out there were actually THREE 1070’s available, which included a dual bios chip (at roughly the same price)! I really preferred having that option even though some people...
Yes, I'll likely OC the card to at least the speed that the factory overclocked versions are running at. From what I read, they don't have much headroom beyond that so I'll probably stay at those speeds once I hit them. Thank you, Rich
Yes, after spending WAY too much time on this, everything I've read and everyone I spoke with agree that the 1070 is worth the extra money. I was able to get a new one from $343.00 USD TT&L, (free shipping too). I bought an MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Armor. It doesn't have a back plate and only one 8-pin connector but no matter how hard I tried, I could find anyone who said the Armor couldn't hit the same speeds when OC'd as the Gaming X or Z can get to. For that reason and...
Hi Folks, I’m in the market for a new graphics card and plan to place an order for one before the day is over. At present, I have an MSI R HD7970BE, which has 3 GB memory, a Bus Width of 384, a default Boost/Base Core clock of 1050MHz and 5500MHz (1375 x 4) memory clock speed. I’m not a “gamer” per se, but I am an avid Flight Sim hobbyist. Over the years, I’ve accumulated several thousand dollars of 3rd party add-on software for my Flight Sim platform; FSX. FSX hits the...
I know this is an old thread, but for what it's worth; I found that the Ring voltage would seem to run at about .100v less than the Core voltage, (+/- .015v). I spent more time than it was worth, messing with the Ring voltage and multiplier and set it back to Auto when I finally stopped fooling with it. That setting seemed to be best because I was able to get the CPU frequency to 4.9Ghz when I finally let the mobo decide what to do with the Ring. As much as I read about...
Hi folks, I'm installing the MSI Z97 MPower Max AC motherboard and I need to decide whether or not to mount the WiFi/Bluetooth module before I go any farther because if I don't install it now, I'll have to remove the board to install it later. However, I'm not 100% sure I want it running and I certainly don't want it running when I boot up for the first time. I have my own wireless network adapter that I was planning to use in the intial stages of this system. I may try,...
LOL, thanks and to be frank, I'm not impressed with the thing at all. However, I'll be spending enough on a Z97 chipset mobo and CPU as it is, (Z170 is out of the question right now).RichBTW, I quite aware of the incompatibility of the 1155 and any other 11xx but thanks anyway
LOL! Well that tears it.. I'm off to buy the upgrades... Thanks PS RE my PM: let me know if there is a way
THANKS! That's disappointing though.... I'll have to start moving backwards, (like the Z87), because I ran searches for 1155 sockets about 2.5 weeks ago looking for boards that were new and had high perf specs. I can't remember exactly what came of it, but I seem to recall that there were new 1155 boards out there however, they were not very high performers. I'll have to go back to the drawing board but it's beginning to look pretty bad. I'm dealing with a time issue so...