Posts by wingclip

LOL Yes! That's what it was I was thinking of! I couldn't remember the exact name. I appreciate you helping me out there. I'll give that search term a go. In the past, I've tried several of the higher rated TIMs and I found myself always going back to Arctic Silver.I use only a very little bit, which is meant to fill in the 'micro-gaps' of air pockets trapped between the two surfaces. As a machinist, I tend to prepare the water-block's mating surface by hand...
"I use liquid metal between the Die and IHS, I might not have spread it enough?" Would you explain what you mean when you said you use "liquid metal". I need to find out more about this if what you're referring to is the kind of "Liquid Metal" that I know of, (which is a material repair & adhesive). I must guess that you're referring to a new type of thermal paste and I haven't been reading much on the latest products. However, this liquid metal seems to be doing a great...
I don't know what the max is, (or what's considered extreme), but for my everyday use profile, (4.7Ghz), my VCCIN is no less than 1.888v and max's out at 1.904v. My LLC/Ring voltage is stock for this profile, (my default Ring multiplier is no more than 40, if I recall), and the voltage to that is 1.254v. CPU Core voltages is a maximum of 1.320, and the VID is 1.330v. I must point out that I may have used the Turbo Boost auto-OC option for that profile, which will usually...
That makes a lot of sense and explains a lot as well! I'm not the thread starter nor am I trying to achieve this state of idling that he is but your explanation helps me understand the C States in general. I personally disable the C State power management selections through my UEFI so I can maintain a more stable OC when clocking at speeds at and above 4.8Ghz. However, I have several 4.7Ghz profiles, (my preferred "typical, everyday-use" CPU speed), with a variety of...
Hmmm... I tried the same thing and my CPU won't go down to the default either. I'm only guessing but maybe you can't get it any lower because of the background programs and processing power of the O/S itself. Maybe someone else can shed a little light on this. Rich
Hi, I don't know which Operating System you have but what you're describing is almost certainly due to the "Power Options" configuration. In Windows 7, I go to Control/Power Options. That opens to a several power-saving default settings and the ability to create your own power configuration. You would name the custom power configuration you plan to create and then click on “Change Advance Power Settings” to open a control panel referring to a variety of selections. I...
What kind of cooling system are you using? (I just realized that you're using air cooling). The crashing could be due to your thermal protection setting. If you have the thermal protection set for some temps in the 4.3GHz speed zone, you may be triggering a BSOD. I'm not familiar with the 4670K but if you're maxing at 70C @4.4/1.36v then you should definitely be able to go another 10C-13C IMO. Anyway, there are a few 'protection' settings that you may want to look at and...
I don't know much about the 5930K but I have a 4790K that I can clock to 4.9GHz so I would have to guess the 5930K would easily get to 46Ghz and even maybe 5GHz, (provided that you have an aggressive liquid cooling system). Fact is, how far you can clock that CPU is dependent on a number of important factors and one of which happens to be very important is the cooling system you're using. As far as what to change; if you're just looking for a bit of speed to apply to your...
I'll read how I can post the results of the OC I've done so far. You see, I had to send my MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC motherboard to MSI for an RMA, (I did a really stupid thing with a cable connection and I was lucky I didn't fry all the hardware). MSI takes weeks to turnaround a motherboard RMA so I bought a replacement board to use while I waited; Asrock Z97 OC Formula The Asrock mobo cost about $130. to $150 less and isn't at the level of the MSI MPower MAX but it has the...
Thanks KSMB! That helps to know! And yes, I have a 240 Radiator on the top of my 780T and a 140mm Radiator in the front. All of them are set up with a push/pull fan config. However, it's all on distilled water, (no DI or LN). What about that Switching Frequency question? Am I right in assuming that the faster I can get it to hold at the better? I just finished bumping my Uncore to 47, (is now at 48/47), and pushed the Input Voltage Switching Frequency up from the 750KHz...