Posts by kevinf

(late) UPDATE: I figured out the grounding issue. DON'T USE BLACK PAINTED SCREWS INCLUDED WITH CASE! Notice in the attached picture, I have continuity between ODD and PSU GND. Unfortunately, I did NOT have continuity with PSU metal and PSU GND! I did some grinding.... still didn't help. Switching PSU screws to standard bare metal worked perfectly.
Surprised noone has mentioned Bill Nye yet. He came to McMaster university for a lecture on this subject. One thing he mentioned was bees http://www.planetary.org/explore/projects/laser-bees/ Anything that funds science and research is always a good thing.
If you are a student, (or alumni with read access to email), use your University/college account for discounted prime, I got 6 months free, now I only pay $49 a year I think?from https://www.amazon.ca/gp/student/signup/infoSo, on top of that, getting 20% off games is a huge bonus. I really like this move.On top of this, Amazon is starting to sell computer parts, at competitive pricing, its really positive... as long as they don't become a monopoly.
100% agree. I needed a lighted scope to help fix my LGA socket with 4 bent pins. In the process of fixing the bent pins, I bent two more. Then the board still failed to post Its super tricky.
I've been using that software since Athlon days to check for stability of OCs... even helped validate several prime numbers during off-peak usage. Intel definitely goofed up.
A new year, some new PCBs. [[SPOILER]] First attempt was really bad, didn't realize some traces were joined until I went to mark the negative side with black marker :facepalm:TXB0108, 8bit, 1.8V to 5V bi-directional level converter:4x signals from BeagleBoard to LED control boards.3x signals from BB to RGB LED strips on the sides connected to relaysRS-232 RX/RX from Beagleboard to 4x LED control boards (dual row of black headers)DesignLove these little protoboards now,...
Altium, a commercial PCB schematic / layout software, recently released a FREE cloud based CircuitMaker.CM just came out of BETA, but the interface is very good. Component library is wonderful and editor is straightforward, something all the competitors lack.Composite drawing - Rev 2, red=top, blue=bottom, white=overlay, dimensions=12x10CMold rev1Ordered rev1 Tuesday November 17, Delivered Friday, November 27, from CHINA!ITEAD Studio, exceeded my expectations, such great...
Merry Christmas! I mounted the 2014 - 48 channel prototype on the fence in the shape of a double sine wave. Adapted to use the 2015 PCB. I didn't have much time to create animations, but I managed to code these last night: Fade in/out (255 levels) Double Chase (2 channels down the waves) Compression (like Fade, but uses rows and columns... isn't very clear) Barrel roll (2 channels going around in loops, in opposite directions)
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Answer: 4 sheets of 48x24x1/8" hardboard! Sigh: I despise using imperial measurements, but unfortunately the wood industry isn't metric. Cutting list for all the inside supports: Cutting list for box frame: [Placeholder] Highly recommended Dewalt DWE7480 table saw ($479.99), I price matched to Home Depot ($379) CT gives 10% of price back in CT money, so saved another $38. Cross-cutting miter...
Great news. Last night I managed to get Beagleboard up and running Ubuntu Precise 12.04 server. Surprised it took me 3 nights to get going, lots of documentation is conflicting/old/broken, plus im a bonehead past midnight.Glad I didn't have to re-install my super old, unsupported Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 image from university.Attempts:0) Outdated from scratch methodhttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RootfsFromScratch1) RCNelson (TI) hangs @ starting kernel, kernel mismatch? bad...