Posts by benpack101

Fedora is the upstream project, from there RH will take bits and pieces (and add some of their own stuff) to make Red Hat Enterprise Linux which you need to pay a subscription fee for support and such. CentOs is then that very RHEL image minus some of the very RH specific tools (ie, red hat support tool)....so yes, pretty much.
Sounds like the installation medium you are using (the Ubuntu download) might not have downloaded correctly. I would suggested checking the checksum, a link on how to do that: this link. Definitely download the iso again and try again. Is this a live cd you are trying to install from? Are you able to go to the desktop and run programs and such in Ubuntu? The partioning method that you want to do should not be causing the issue you are having right now. Cheers!
From my understanding of nice, nice is the priority in which the CPU timeshares. If something needs to be of very high priority a -20 is assigned. Vice versa a larger positive number, very low priority. For the most part, your CPU won't have an issue running everything that you are running, but if you are running some intensive stuff you can give priority to certain applications.Not too familiar with nohup so can't really help you there I am sure they can be used together,...
Very interesting video! I have thought about that before and we are definitely in the midst of a large revolution!That is a really cool endeavor you are working on there...and there aren't too many better places for it than north Florida!OCN might not be quite the place to do it, but I would definitely recommend blogging/writing about your experience implementing this partially automated tree farm!Good luck and don't be afraid to ask ?s!
Welcome to OCN!Linux has definitely found itself in many different projects of all sizes (even underwater)!I would dare go and say a desktop environment like unity, or gnome, or cinamon (and many others I'm not mentioning) are quite easy to get used to at least to pull up a web browser! One of the thinks I enjoy the most about running a linux system is the fact that it is Open Source and you can really configure the system to cater to your specific needs! As I am sure you...
This is the output I get when I run sudo parted /dev/sdx print Code:Warning: Unable to open /dev/sdc read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sdchas been opened read-only.Warning: Unable to open /dev/sdc read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sdchas been opened read-only.Error: /dev/sdc: unrecognised disk labelModel: Verbatim STORE N GO (scsi) Disk /dev/sdc: 15.5GBSector size (logical/physical): 512B/512BPartition Table:...
Here you go, and it makes sense that sdb is the drive I am having issues with. Code: [benpack101@topsecret ~]$ sudo lsblk [sudo] password for benpack101: NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 0 298.1G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 60G 0 part ├─sda2 8:2 0 40G 0 part / ├─sda3 8:3 0 4G 0 part [SWAP] └─sda4 8:4 0 194.2G 0 part...
Yes, yes, I know that! Sorry, when I saidI meant lsblk.The issue with the drive is there are no partitions on them so blkid does not see anything on the drive.And I ran "sudo hdparm -r0 /dev/sdX" as I briefly mentioned above, but it did not solve the RO issue.
My main rig is actually currently in Windows for some tune-up, I was plugging the usb drive into an older core2 / 2GB of RAM guy running a fresh coat of F21. The computer does not have a 3.0 port.blkid does not come up with anything as I don't think there are any made partitions on it (I must have done some funny stuff a while ago).And I am sure that it is the right drive, I've done the run command, take it out, run it again test.
Congrats everyone winners!Not going to be able to take part in the next foldathon as I'll be out of the country, so I'll fold extra hard while I can!