Posts by magic8192

The 4P loves WCG! and so do I.
Do you have a boinc account? If not here is a good installation starter.The most important thing is to always use the same username and password and if you setup a profile use the same zip/country etc... If you create a new account you won't have an ID until you get some stats and you get those in about 24 hours of crunching your first tasks.If you already have an account go here and type your username in the search box and find your stats. Click on your the little...
#1 on team with WCG
2x E5-2670 $125 -ebay 2x Intel passive heatsinks $16 -ebay 8x 4GB DDR3 1600 memory $100 -ebay Intel S2600CP2J Lga 2011 v1 motherboard $125 -natex.us Intel P4308XXMFGN Server Chassis 4U 750W $125 -ebay 80 GB SSD $34 -amazon $525 for this setup is not bad. It isn't necessary, but I picked up an I/O shield, rackmount kit and raid controller for $50. The fans are loud and run at full speed all the time. I have flashed the bios to get the memory to run at 1600...
That is what I am waiting for, the 980 ti price drop. I am going to get rid of my giant X99 water cooled multi gpu rig and get an air cooled i7 6700k rig with a single 980 ti for gaming/daily work crap. Cheaper, faster in games, easier to work on and doesn't take up so much room. I can probably part out the X99 rig and use that cash to buy the new 6700k rig and have money left over to buy some new games Not parting out the X99 rig until after the pentathlon
Is this what you are talking about?
It seems that power supplies are getting better. I remember this power supply being received pretty well several years ago. I am currently using an old supermicro server PS for it. It is a PWS-1K28P-SQ 80 Plus 1280 Watt that I had laying around Looks funny, but it is working for now.
I have had this PS for a few years and it powers my 4P rig that pulls ~700 watts. Had a nasty power surge/brown out and power loss last week and the OCZ ZX 1250 is dead. Is there anything I can do with this PS? I took the cover off and looked around, one of the large capacitors looks swelled and the plastic wrap on it is partially knocked off. You can see the cap in this pic. It is a TeaPo 420v 390. I don't have a pic of mine at the moment, but here is a pic of the...
Thanks for the input. I will probably go with the 512 GB Samsung 850 EVO. The other ideas are interesting though I have about 65 GB of game data on my current SSD and about 100 GB of game data on my current 2 TB storage drive. I have virtual machines of my older computers that are also on the storage drive along with tons of music and pictures.I do feel kind of weird because people were telling the same thing about gaming with a HD vs SSD several years ago( You don't...
Agreed. I have support only a few project regularly now and WCG is one of them.