Posts by unfbilly11

Like others have said, it really depends on how tech savvy your kids are. If they aren't that good, just block it at the router or even add a bogus IP address to the hosts files. Windows will resolve whatever address you put in there so just add a line for the site you want to block and put the IP 0.0.0.0.
Well, I can't argue anymore. You and I are just gonna have to agree to disagree. I think what most people find irritating about Windows 8 is the fact that they have to relearn how to do some things that they've been doing for a long time. I don't find that irritating at all so I can't relate.
I get what you're saying, but my problem is that by that logic, why ever try anything different? Why ever move away from Windows XP? Should Microsoft keep it the same until the end of time? They built an OS that could be uniform across all of their devices. It doesn't matter if you pick up a Windows Phone, a Surface Pro, or sit down in front of a Windows 8 desktop, you're going to get the same experience. That's what they were going for. You might make an argument that...
Good post, I agree with a lot of it. I didn't mean that it's either speed and security OR error messages, but you are correct that that's how I phrased it. I just meant that I'd take the less descriptive error messages of Windows 8 along with the added features over Windows 7.All that being said, I still think the main problem is lack of consumer knowledge and training on Microsoft's part. There's nothing that a normal user would do in Windows 7 that takes longer in...
I think you're pretty close with setting it to use a COM port and trying it that way. I'm surprised that didn't work. Just to be clear, do you have the driver for your home printer installed on the computer you're remoting to? Also, what OS is everything running? We have this problem on servers at my company a lot. These commands may be different based on the version of the OS you're running, but our solution ended up being: Make sure the drivers for the printer are...
You and I are just gonna disagree on this...and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is that Windows 8 is nowhere near as bad as people are saying. What exactly do you have trouble doing? Everything that could be done in Win 7 can be done in Win 8 the same amount of steps or fewer. I'm definitely no Microsoft fanboy, but Windows 8 is getting a lot of undeserved hate.
But it doesn't get in the way of workflow. And, if it does, it's only because the end user doesn't know how to use it. That brings me back to my original post in saying that the lack of a tutorial is what really hurt the OS. I don't think that you can fault Microsoft for requiring their users to have some level of competence before using their OS. They can't expect the general populous to just go out and learn it on their own though.I definitely get a lot of the dislikes...
The biggest problem with Windows 8 was the lack of any kind of tutorial. Everyone who uses it doesn't understand how to do things they used to know how to do and immediately they say it's awful. It's not awful. Actually, 8.1 is a really great OS with many improvements. I don't necessarily agree with Microsoft's decision making because it's definitely tailored for a tablet, but a lot of you guys are saying it's "unusable" which is ridiculous. I haven't found 1 thing in...
Are you logged on as Administrator?
This is my biggest problem with digital games. I have a ton of games but if Steam is down, I might as well just go buy a PS4. Still, I'm glad to know that it's not just me. My Steam connection seems to be really off and on lately.