Posts by victorzamora

Onboard-only. If my brother wants a little gaming, he can spring for the 750Ti.
This is what I ended up going with: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.98 @ Newegg) Motherboard: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.23 @ Newegg) Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg) Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($168.45 @ Newegg) Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg) Power...
I know I've been slow to respond, and I apologize. I'm now getting overwhelmed with the options. I like Agent Smith's big beastly build....that's pretty impressive. It's exactly what I'd build (very similar to my main rig, actually.....it's fairly upsetting, too, considering). However, he's hard to convince regarding the rebates. That's quite a bit of rebate (like 10% of the total cost). There's a lot to consider, and I think I'll probably be going the p4inkiller...
This looks like a properly awesome list/setup. Unfortunately, I don't have a Microcenter close by (not that your list requires it). I might pay extra for the HDD (found a Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM on Amazon for like $70, and it's on my dad's "checklist"). I might also bump that Earthwatts to the Rosewill from earlier, and donate the Earthwatts to him and keep the Rosewill .The one question I have is, will this do Office/Quickbooks/Internet/iTunes all multi-tasked better than...
One thing not mentioned earlier, but I didn't think it mattered: My dad's hope is to use two monitors. The Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V doesn't allow a DVI->VGA adapter to be used, and both of our monitors are VGA. I'll have to keep looking for a mobo.
That's exactly why I'm still considering the dual-core....because "gaming" (the way we know it) isn't ever going to be done on this machine. It's really a Tertiary Goal to get mediocre gaming capacity out of it.....but I'd much rather have a properly capable desktop to do what my Dad needs, and just get my brother to build his own later on. As far as "ponying up"....he doesn't mind paying more, but neither of us see much of a need for what he wants to do to pay much more...
....but that's the thing. I'm never expecting it to ACTUALLY be used for gaming. Mid-2010 Macbook Pro is what this needs to beat for gaming. An 8-year old Dell Inspiron is the laptop he's upgrading from.
Some Pentium Dual Core is what I was thinking might be better. My only fear was he's hoping for Quickbooks+Excel+Interwebz+iTunes or whatever. I was thinking a quad core would be worth it. Of course, it might not be worth the $70 difference. Thoughts there? I know that "Four tasks!=Four Cores" but just wondering. Thanks a ton for your help.
Hey guys, my dad finally caved and saw the error in his ways. Laptop-only life isn't worth living . He's looking for a budget build that will be bulletproof but basic. He's hoping to be under $400, closer to $300 wouldn't hurt his feelings. I've put together a proposed AMD rig, but I'm wondering if I've screwed up a few things. I'm wondering if Intel wouldn't be better for his intended purposes, I think the RAM is a tad overkill (but priced low, so it was worth the...
In for a win. It's gotta happen some time, right?