Posts by Sam OCX

The "OC socket" is not that big of a deal for companies to throw their main R&D resources at it. This and the 5-6 figure (re-)development cost is the reason why they still make most boards with "normal" LGA2011-3. Been fooling around with some SODIMM modules during the weekend:
If you're talking about Hynix then, on average, the low-binned stuff clocks as well as 2800C14, 3000C15 and 3200C16 kits. However, on low bins you can also encounter Micron or Samsung chips, which, when unbinned, are pretty tragic clockers.If it was my choice, I would go for the 2666C13 version of HyperX Predator. It is guaranteed to be Hynix and has tougher specs compared to 2800C14, 3000C15 and 3200C16 (hence clocks a bit better than all those kits, on average).
The bit on each module that has the "G.Skill" and "Ripjaws 4" logos is a sticker, hence removable.
If you don't cover the memory sticks in too thick of a layer, cooling shouldn't be too big of an issue. You can also mask each of the memory chips with a piece of paper so that you're only plasti-dipping the PCB.
I'm not allowed to take the HS off (not my kit nor a review sample) but the shape is identical to D9RGQ/D9RGV.
Got a chance to test new batch of Crucial 2400C16, these sticks are different to early ones that I had before. For a start, they have absolutely no issues running 1500+, but for some reason they will also not run 1500+ below 1.48-1.50V.
Testing some low-end Avexirs:
There is absolutely no reason to be concerned about the voltage, 1.65V is not high at all and is actually way less than what the IMCs and the memory can safely take.
Yes, compared to 3000C15-like specs where Hynix yields are 95%+, makers actually have to bin the ICs to make 3200C15 and 3400C16 happen. Hence you get a better worst-case IC quality.
Tested some DDR4 Hynix kits recently: Team Elite 2400C16 HyperX Predator 2666C13 HyperX Predator 2800C14