Posts by anime513

Basically I have some stereo speakers hooked up to a dac/amp that go to my HTPC. The biggest issue I'm having is that when playing movies, the dialogue is extremely quiet while everything else is very loud. I tried using Windows built in Loudness Equalization feature which actually works quiet well for movies. However, I've noticed some slight distortion in certain scenes. It's usually obvious in scenes with louder dialogue. Basically, I'm looking for an alternative to...
Basically I bought this laptop last year for college. It was lightweight and a good deal with the A10 upgrade. Today, of course a couple weeks past the warranty's last day, the hinge just snapped out of the bezel. Basically everything is intact and fully functioning, but now I have this fragile computer with the internal hinge sticking out. This is all from just normal usage - opening and closing the laptop. I honestly have no clue how to approach this. Should I try to fix...
I'm having the hardest time figuring how exactly to to set up quality audio for my S60. We already have a home theater and a separate TV using expensive AVRs. This TV is setup up in a bedroom purely for casual watching. Such an expensive AVR setup would be waste of money. Basically I have an old pair of Pioneer BS22 that I want to use with the TV. This is my first time dealing with an optical out. I'm considering buying a FiiO D3, which would act as a DAC and connect to...
Actually, I noted that if I turn the TV off and on when the sound is distorted the issue is also resolved. It might be a setting on my TV I need to configure, but I have no clue what.
Not sure if this exactly is a Windows 8 issue, but I recently installed Windows 8 on my HTPC and have had this weird issue with the audio. Basically if the HDMI going to the TV (a Panasonic S60) is still plugged in during reboot, I get audio issues. This includes distorted sound, crackling, and some sort of echo. The issue can be resolved if I unplug the HDMI and plug it right back in. This holds true regardless of what HDMI port I use. Not sure what could be going on. I'm...
So the desktop that the family uses has been BSOD'ing like crazy. I've finally narrowed it down to the motherboard going bad. So we're interested in using the old parts from this build to turn it into an HTPC for the spare TV in the basement. All other components are working just. The computer was housing an Athlon II x3 450 with a HD4850. I know these parts would be just fine for playing files, but what I want to know is if the current generation of APUs are actually...
Basically I've almost filled up my LIAN LI PC-Q25B and am looking for more space and airflow for my unRAID server (mostly used for media and important files). I'm considering a Fractal Design Define XL R2 since it can hold up to 12 drives without much modification. Currently I'm running 5 3TB 7200RPM drives. Considering the possibility of running 12 drives, I'm planning to upgrade my PSU from a CX430 to maybe a SS-560KM (mostly to go fully modular). What I don't know is if...
I recently bought a TV for my room since watching on my gaming PC is a real pain. The primary purpose of this build is to stream everything from my unRAID server nice and smoothly. The most rigorous scenario I can think of is streaming a 1080p 10bit MKV upscaled with madVR. Aside from that, I would like to finally take advantage of that F710 wireless gamepad that I have sitting around. I want to be able to play some casual indie games along with some emulators (nothing...
So basically I've been holding out on a PS3. I'm a huge JRPG player and that's just something you don't get on the PC. I was waiting to see if there was any chance of backwards compatibility on the PS4, but that seems unlikely. It would seem cheaper in the long run to just buy a PS3 and purchase used games. That being said, anyone have any experience buying a refurb from the sony store? Here's the link:...
So I'm literally one step away from my ideal network. I upgraded my router to an ASUS RT-N65U and wired my NAS and every close by computer with a gigabit connection. For the computers more than a room away, I purchased 2 pairs of TP-LINK PA511 powerline adapters. The first pair, which I have hooked up directly to the router and a HTPC in the basement, works perfectly. I'm getting transfer speeds of 12MB/s. I'm having issues setting up the third adapter though. It's in a...