Posts by Microx256

Not exactly correct. The speed is determined by the BIOS either way, the BIOS controls the fan speeds (assuming it support control at all, though all mobos these days support, as far as I know), and PWM is just a method of controlling the speed. Traditional 3pin fans are controlled by lowering the DC voltage from 12V to less, and less voltage means less fan speed. PWM has a 4th pin that controls a "pulsating signal" that cuts the fan power on-off at a very high speed, and...
I'd recommend a fan controller. I've always built my own controllers by myself, so I can't recommend any particular fan controller. Either try searching for fan controllers on your local retailers sites, or wait for someone to post a suggested model. PS. Welcome to OCN!
In that case, RAID-5 (Or in fact, any RAID level) has more than enough performance. Good idea, due to 2 points; RAID don't protect you from human-errors (accidental deletions, etc), and the more independent backups the better. It wouldn't be the first time two HDD's dies in a RAID array before having time to replace the first dead drive. Never happened to me though, but I remember reading about such incident here on OCN years back. If you are seriously skeptical/paranoid,...
1440p 27" = 94.81 PPI 1080p 22" = 100.13 PPI 1080p 21" = 104.9 PPI so 21" 1080p would look "sharpest", 27" 1400p second sharpest, and 22" 1080p least sharp, but the difference is not that big in the end. My 28" UHD screen is 157.35 PPI, and its already a huge lot sharper than my previous 24" 1080p at 91.79 PPI
That's why they want to keep it a secret. And if you are a criminal, and your HDD's contents would give enough evidence for a lifetime in jail, I think pretty much any criminal would just act as if they forgot their password. As far as I know, not even in UK refusing to give the password gives a lifetime in jail. And yes, the complexity can open vulnerabilities, but those same apply to Bitlocker etc too, so I'd still much rather use an opensource alternative, since that...
Couldn't agree more. Obviously they will say all stuff like that to fool criminals into using backdoored closed source stuff like Bitlocker instead of some proper opensource encryption tool which usually don't have backdoors since people would notice such things from the source. Same reason why movies and TV series etc say things like "The most important ring of pentagon, the outest ring called the E ring" to fool terrorists to attack the outest, least important ring...
4x1TB in raid5 = 3TB usable space, 2x2TB in raid1 = 2TB usable space, both have same fault tolerance of 1 drive. Though, raid1 will have a little higher read performance, so it depends on what you want or need. For basic tasks like streaming a movie file over the network while watching (eg. not copying it to local computer first), raid5 has more than enough performance. For tasks like running whole bigger applications directly from the NAS, you may benefit from the...
Bitfenix Shinobi XL, since you will be building quite a beasty rig, the Shinobi XL has a lot of room for cooling and airflow, the case itself is very solid and good quality, and has a lot of customization possibilities.
1. Easily, since you don't want any crazy stuff. A friend of mine runs a home nas on one of the first core 2 duo cpus and the cpu load rarely goes over 10%. 2. as little as 128-512MB will do, but the more the better. Though, the benefit is not so big that you should put a lot of money on extra RAM. 3. the more sata ports the better, and preferably a motherboard without a 3rd party sata controller (marvell etc) 4. depends on what you want. for raid1 setups it don't...
I'd say "No point in upgrading", meaning if you have a properly working 1080p TV or so, no point in getting a 4k, but if your TV breaks, and you need a TV, I'd say its just stupid to buy a 1080p TV these days (unless of course you are a person who replaces their telly every few years, I am not)