Posts by Microx256

I have two of those at work, and a Asus PB287Q at home, and while both have a decent quality, I would pick the Asus over the Samsung any day. The stand is really wiggly on the Samsung; one little poke on the screen and the screen wobbles around for a while like a hula-hula doll. Not to mention the Asus has more adjustments (height, tilt, and rotates into pivot), where as the Samsung has only tilt, not even height adjustment.
Teamspeak with a decent quality is about 20-40 MB of traffic per hour (depending on activity and quality), so there ain't much to worry about there. Skype should be about the same for voice calls, and for video calls it greatly depends on quality, according to this, a "high-quality" video call is about 175MB per hour. Not really much there either. Games are usually somewhat more bandwidth hungry, though that greatly depends on the game, but in general rarely more than...
The build didn't work, he said nothing about the cpu.. there are other parts than just the cpu that can break in the build you know.. edit:oopsie, almost forgot to answer on the topic As far as I know the only way to test a cpu is to use a mobo with a proper socket, or advanced testing equipment which cost a lot more than a mobo.. You should ask friends if they have a proper mobo and are willing to take their builds apart for a moment of testing, or also some local tech...
if you buy exact same kit, you can use both dualchannel and XMP directly, without the need of any manual timings or so. Also, having more ram will definitely not downgrade the performance, the controller is designed to handle 4 sticks, so having 2 sticks will leave half of the controller unused. The increase in total capacity will just improve performance, because you will have more ram for caching etc. Also the stress on the sticks will go down, because the use will be...
You wont be able to use XMP (at least not directly), but you will be able to run in dual channel. Only the sticks that form a pair need to be identical. That said, in literally all rigs I've had in past before this current rig I've ran in dualchannel with different sizes. (Well, since dualchannel existed). There are of course exceptions to this, there may be some garbage mobos that refuse to even try if they notice the stick differ even a little and try to force you to buy...
Certain information after a BSOD becomes unavailable, due to some weird reason Microsoft chose to dump some of the diagnostics data onto the pagefile instead of a dedicated file. At least last time I checked, this may have changed. If the BSOD in such case is repeatable, just re-enable pagefile and you're back to the old situation. Also some badly coded programs/games (very old ones) specifically checks for pagefile size and refuses to start without a proper pagefile, one...
Not exactly correct. The speed is determined by the BIOS either way, the BIOS controls the fan speeds (assuming it support control at all, though all mobos these days support, as far as I know), and PWM is just a method of controlling the speed. Traditional 3pin fans are controlled by lowering the DC voltage from 12V to less, and less voltage means less fan speed. PWM has a 4th pin that controls a "pulsating signal" that cuts the fan power on-off at a very high speed, and...
I'd recommend a fan controller. I've always built my own controllers by myself, so I can't recommend any particular fan controller. Either try searching for fan controllers on your local retailers sites, or wait for someone to post a suggested model. PS. Welcome to OCN!
In that case, RAID-5 (Or in fact, any RAID level) has more than enough performance. Good idea, due to 2 points; RAID don't protect you from human-errors (accidental deletions, etc), and the more independent backups the better. It wouldn't be the first time two HDD's dies in a RAID array before having time to replace the first dead drive. Never happened to me though, but I remember reading about such incident here on OCN years back. If you are seriously skeptical/paranoid,...
1440p 27" = 94.81 PPI 1080p 22" = 100.13 PPI 1080p 21" = 104.9 PPI so 21" 1080p would look "sharpest", 27" 1400p second sharpest, and 22" 1080p least sharp, but the difference is not that big in the end. My 28" UHD screen is 157.35 PPI, and its already a huge lot sharper than my previous 24" 1080p at 91.79 PPI