Posts by Rocket Lawnchair

A lot has been said already, but I'd like to throw in my two cents into this particular topic that has been coming up quite often as computers become more prevalent in society. In my opinion, to suggest that software development is an essential skill and should be taught in the same league as mathematics and science is asinine. Although I agree that opportunities are lacking for students to be exposed to the field, those that are passionate about computers eventually...
Same here. With wrappers like packer though, it's really no trouble installing packages from either repository.
I also have to agree. The general consensus among developers seems to be that Qt is the superior toolkit. It's certainly is from a cross platform perspective, as there are implementations of Qt on pretty much every platform. I've also found that it tends to produce better integrated native applications across platforms than GTK+. The performance differences between the two are negligible, however. I'd recommend faced between the choice of either to pick Qt.At the end of...
Have you made sure you're using the right ethernet interface? The newest version of systemd has changed the default schema for naming network devices. Try running: Code: ip link It should list all the network devices connected. You'll find that what's normally eth0 is now something like enp2s1. Find the interface with a similar name, and then make sure that it's up by running: Code: ip link set interfaceName up Then try setting up dhcpcd again as a service.
Phonon is the multimedia API for Qt. It's not an audio framework itself, rather, it provides an abstraction for Qt applications to interface with other audio frameworks, such as gstreamer.
There are different contexts of portability depending on the role of the piece of software. Low level daemons and frameworks are not expected, and aren't designed to be as portable as userland applications. systemd, being a Linux-specific framework, is implemented as such. Other platforms already have their own implementations for managing services.Granted, the developers are certainly not trying to maintain compatibility. The udev fiasco is a fantastic example, and as...
The headline is certainly inflammatory, but I'd advise you guys to at least read the article. Honestly, he makes a couple of good points. Android phones gained traction because of their price points. The operating system itself, in the beginning, was pretty terrible. Now it's much better, but that doesn't negate the fact that it's not what initially got the platform moving. On the other hand, his entire argument is based on bias towards Apple, not an objective look at...
All the changes being made upstream are definitely impacting the portability of various Linux software, but I feel like it's the inevitable. Developers currently aren't, and really never have been, interested in maintaining compatibility with other projects.systemd is definitely taking upon a lot of roles. Although I feel like in the end it'll be a benefit, simply because it will result in less duplication of effort in maintaining a lot of smaller projects.
systemd is fantastic. All the hate really seems to be directed towards Poettering himself, rather than the framework itself. It's certainly far superior than the alternatives.
As far as quality of the sound, it really depends on the sound file and the hardware processing it, not the subsystem itself. That, and OSS has been deprecated in favor of ALSA in the kernel anyway. There's nothing you need to do on your end to make improvements.