Posts by IvantheDugtrio

Maybe this is designed to compete with existing compute infrastructure which doesn't use anything like HSA. It kind of goes with their CUDA->OpenCL converter.
In the higher-end APUs like Zeppelin the MCM is supposed to have integrated HBM for the GPU while the 32 CPU cores use the quad channel DDR4 (basically 2 Zen processors on the same module). I don't see much difference or benefit on the CPU side to having 100GB of total memory bandwidth other than to simplify the design of cramming two Zen CPUs into one package.
AMD said they would use socket AM4 for everything in the future though it might just be on the consumer side. I would expect a G34 successor.
By that logic you would need a GTX Titan to get 400 fps in CS:GO at 1080p
So basically these cards are competing with the likes of Matrox and Aspeed integrated GPUs for the sole purpose of providing graphics where there are none. Basically most Xeons for example have no onboard graphics (even the E3 series) so systems with those processors warrant these kinds of cards if they don't need to do graphically demanding work.
Yeah that's the thing. ARM in the server space still has a long way to go in terms of package support. It's great that Linux is already fairly well developed thanks to the Raspberry Pi however it hasn't really been thoroughly tested in a lot of server scenarios and not as many packages support it as does x86.So far from what I've seen ARM in a desktop offers lower cost and lower power platforms than what Intel and AMD can offer with Atom and Jaguar processors. Of course...
This looks neat from an inexpensive server standpoint however I would have liked to see a Kabini-based microserver platform as this would probably be cheaper than the estimated A1100 dev-kit prices (~$300 for the 96boards part) and have better support through x86. I suspect the performance per core is about on par with kabini as is the power consumption. The main difference being this supports ECC memory, is dual-channel, has 10Gb ethernet built-in, and has 8 PCIe 3.0...
These new Polaris chips should be for mobile only judging by the estimated 30W power consumption in the CES demo.
The E5-2650 is an engineering sample. It works fine apart from a PCIe 3.0 issue that forces me to run only cards that use 2.0 or older.The E5-2680 is an OEM processor.So I tested the E5-2680 on my work PC (Dell T3610) and encountered the same issues I had with my X79 board. The only way I could boot up Windows with the E5-2680 was by disabling hyperthreading and 4 of the cores.I've decided to return the processor so I'll probably get a similar one in the near future.
The F20 bios supports Xeon E5 processors (Sandy or Ivy Bridge). The previous bios update supports Ivy Bridge-E processors. Considering how my E5-2650 works it's looking like the E5-2680 is defective.I'll test it tomorrow in my work PC with a C600 series chipset. If it doesn't work there then I'll have to return it.