Posts by Scott1541

Not too bad, looks like you've got the hang of the meter and getting a good exposure for the most part. Regarding the ISO speeds, yeah, you do have it a bit high on a few shots, but not that over the top. How I'd normally do it is figure out what aperture value I want/need to use, then adjust the ISO to keep the shutter speed where it needs to be.For the landscape sort of shots you've posted on your flickr I'd start by stopping the aperture down to about f/8, or maybe...
Yeah, that was me Sent it in now because I'd rather get it sorted out early before it potentially causes more damage, especially since nobody really seems to have a definite answer regarding the potential for it to spread to other lenses, sensors, etc.. I would have sent it off a few weeks ago but I put it off until after the airshow I went to last weekend. The estimate I've got so far is fairly reasonable, in line with their repair tariff, which puts the cost of...
Just been browsing ebay looking at the price of Sigma 70-200s while mine is in for repair and I came across this: Wat?
You've got a point actually. Even if the body meters fine with the lens, it's still going to be manual focus, which I know from my own experience gets old pretty fast.The only manual lenses I use at the minute are my 50 Series E and Helios. Both very rarely get used, and sometimes it's only because I need a 50 and still haven't picked up an AF version yet. There are manual lenses that I'd love to own, like the Helios 40 and Tair 11, but yeah, you're right, they probably...
If I had a mirrorless body I'd have a stack of old manual lenses If I got one I'd want to go straight to full frame though rather than bothering with m43 or aps-c, so I could use lenses to their full potential and for their intended purpose. I looked at the original A7 around when I picked up the D7200, but I dismissed it as an optical viewfinder is better for what I do, or at least what I like doing. (not done that much of it lately though ) I can see myself owning...
Wow, that thing's a beast Our first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix E775, which is still lying around somewhere but I've lost the battery charger now so can't use it even if I wanted to. It was given to me when my dad got a D50, and that was my only camera for quite some time
7/10, interesting photo but nothing really that impressive quality of composition wise. Don't know what else to say Here's my mum's horse, shot yesterday evening with the 70-200, 145mm at f/2.8 and sharpened a little. It's not a bad lens, but it might still need to go in for fungus repair. SDP_1525 by Scott, on Flickr
Maybe, I'm a bit shaky hand holding at 200mm but we'll see how it goes. The monopod isn't just for this, but I thought it'd be a good time to get one in case I end up needing it.
Just purchased myself another SD card and battery in preparation for the airshow I'm going to next weekend. I'm not sure how big it's going to be as I've never been to this one before, and I haven't been to any others in 5 years I've accepted that the 70-200 may be a bit short for this sort of event but oh well, I didn't think the price of renting a teleconverter or even longer lens was worth it, so I'll just have to use 1.3x crop mode and/or crop in lightroom. Now all...
The zoom will give enough versatility to allow you to do what you want to do, however a prime lens would give you better image quality. Personally I don't think the 50mm f/1.8 D is a great choice for two reasons: firstly it's an older AF lens, which means that it won't be able to autofocus with the D5300, as the D3XXX and D5XXX series don't have motors built into the body to drive the lens. Only AF-S lenses can autofocus with these bodies.Secondly 50mm is quite a long...