Posts by TranquilTempest

Absolutely. I think it's on sale right now. I must have thousands of hours in this game.
A very nice update. Time to sink another hundred hours into it(hard mode is actually hard now!).
at that framerate on a 60hz monitor you have more than one tear on every single frame. The offset is smaller because there's less difference between each fram, but you do get more tears.
It's even worse for mouse precision to be bouncing that much framerate on a non-gsync display, especially in a FPS, or any game where you're trying to click something that's moving quickly across the screen. If you're trying to click on something that isn't moving, sure, you might get better precision with a fixed refresh rate, because you'd always be seeing the cursor movement at the monitor's maximum refresh rate. You can always lower settings and cap framerate in game...
No. Variable refresh can be used at any framerate, provided you stay within the capabilities of the hardware. The advantage of variable refresh is most apparent below 60fps, because that's where you get a lot of judder on a 60hz fixed refresh display.You can put both technologies on a 60hz monitor, but there's no reason to limit refresh rate like that unless it's a hardware limitation, like running out of bandwidth on the displayport link due to a high resolution or cheap...
There would be a very significant downside to that: stagnation. For long term performance I would much prefer at least two solutions that keep trying to one-up the other.
The problem with freesync is that it's still even more niche than g-sync. There something like 6 freesync compatible video cards, as opposed to 18 g-sync compatible video cards. That might impact how quickly monitor manufacturers decide to ramp production of adaptive-sync monitors, so they don't saturate that market segment too quickly and miss out on some profit.The big point of variable refresh is that you don't need to maintain 120+ FPS to get smooth animation and low...
People don't really realize how many different things it's possible to screw up. It would be very easy for AMD to get one of the edge cases wrong, or for a display manufacturer to introduce input lag for color correction or something. I'll just leave this comment on the different performance aspects here:
Variable refresh loses half it's value if you do image corrections that add a lot of processing lag. I wouldn't mind at all if those features were just removed from the display(color/gamma correction can be done on the PC side anyway).
Samsung's release date is apparently in March: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/samsung-to-release-its-first-displays-with-amd-freesync-technology-next-march/ So that's ~17 months after g-sync was initially announced. Pretty close to the first estimates of how long it would take for AMD to come up with something equivalent. Just think how much time we would have saved if people used common sense instead of believing unrealistic PR.