Posts by TranquilTempest

.25 is out. When it finishes downloading I'm going to start a harder than hard career save.
This again? PSR isn't adaptive sync. There are no adaptive-sync compatible eDP controllers.
Not all GCN 1.1 GPUs support variable refresh.
Interesting idea, but I wouldn't trust any sensitive data to something that has GSM built in. It would be too easy to build a backdoor into the drive, and to difficult to monitor that channel.
The overly optimistic people are the most likely to be disappointed. Wait for a review and retail pricing before you let freesync impact a purchase decision. The exception would be if you're considering buying a new monitor and already have a freesync compatible graphics card, in which case I'd say wait.
No, there's a big gap between "variable refresh is possible within the confines of this standard" and "we have a working implementation of variable refresh" It's possible to implement variable refresh over displayport WITHOUT eDP or adaptive-sync. You just need cooperation between the display manufacturer and gpu manufacturer. That's what NVidia did, using DP 1.2.Adaptive-sync ONLY removes the requirement for direct cooperation between the display manufacturer and the GPU...
When I sayThat was the assumption everyone made at CES, and it's wrong. Those devices implement panel self refresh, and adaptive sync is NOT based on PSR. Adaptive sync is based on a much earlier version of eDP that didn't even mention changing refresh rates. If you don't believe me, check the spec, there's a copy of eDP 1.1 on baidu. This has all been covered before. Repeatedly.
It didn't really recognize a feature, variable refresh wasn't a "feature" until g-sync, it was just something that was possible for display manufacturers to implement, with the cooperation of gpu manufacturers. The VESA standard defined an interface for it, so the people making graphics cards don't have to negotiate a new interface with each different monitor manufacturer that wants to implement variable refresh.
a-sync can be as good as g-sync, that part of the implementation is up to the people making display controllers, not AMD, and if they wanted, they could make it work the same way g-sync does. As for the Freesync side, Robert Hallock is either lying or clueless. AMD does need triple buffering in order to prevent a loss of GPU performance when repeating previous frames. AMD also needs to ignore that third framebuffer when it isn't repeating a frame, in order to avoid excess...
Support for variable refresh from big display manufacturers was inevitable once Nvidia created a market for it(and not a second before). AMD's PR led to unrealistic expectations, you just need to read some of the old CES and Computex threads to see that. If you want a realistic estimate on when we'll see a-sync monitors, assume the chip manufacturers started working on new designs immediately after the g-sync announcement, and ask how long it would take to get those...