Posts by TranquilTempest

In what timeframe is that a realistically achievable goal?
There's a big difference between "works in the lab" and "compelling and manufacturable product". People forget how many different and competing qualities you want in a battery: High power per unit mass and volume. High energy per unit mass and volume. Cheaply manufacturable. no expensive raw materials Wide temperature range. low leakage low internal resistance doesn't degrade with charging cycles or time can be charged and discharged quickly without degradation no...
You got me curious, so I looked at what the max view distance was, and it appears to be a radius of 32 chunks or 512 blocks. The world height is 256 blocks, so that comes out to a maximum of 268 Million blocks(assuming it just loads a square around you, not a circle). Just exactly how much information is stored per block? Two bytes easily specifies all the block types, and I can see a few more bytes for state and velocity, but I don't see how you get up to the 60+ bytes...
I don't mind it continuing, because high resolution is driving development of the high throughput display controllers and interfaces you'd need for high frequency displays.I would totally take a 1khz 1080p monitor over an 8k 60hz monitor.
Yup. This is relevant: http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/
That's wrong, persistence causes motion blur on tracked objects because the object is only in the right location at one instant per refresh cycle, If you have 10ms of persistence(100% persistence at 100fps 100hz), an object moving at 2k pixels/sec(crosses a 1080p screen in ~1 second) will be blurred by 20 pixels. This is assuming the pixel transitions instantly. If you drop that down to 1ms persistence at the same rate the blur goes down to 2 pixels, because your eye and...
In real life, you get motion blur on everything except the thing your eyes are tracking. The only way to simulate that without artifacts is extremely high framerates coupled with extremely high refresh rates. The faster the motion, the higher the framerate/refresh rate you need. It's pretty easy for something to be moving across the screen at thousands of pixels per second, so you'd need a few thousand hz before you can animate it "realistically".
Sample and hold OLED displays exist, and they do have motion blur. The blur is proportional to the persistence, 100% persistence means 100% blur for the distance between refreshes(if your eye is tracking something moving across the screen). If an OLED is strobed multiple times per frame(still with low persistence), the motion blur will look more like motion ghosting.It's not the "pixel lag" in an LCD that causes motion blur, even a zero latency display with full...
Problem is, middle management types can often throw useful employees under the bus in order to maintain their own jobs.
I really notice flicker at 60hz, but 85hz is tolerable.