Posts by TranquilTempest

They don't have to roll a new ASIC for each panel, you can build enough cusomization into an ASIC to meet a wide range of panels (an example of customization on an ASIC would be programmable shaders on a GPU), or you can put enough fixed function logic into a FPGA that it meets your needs at minimal die area. Lots of FPGAs have fixed function sections, like an ARM core, built right onto the die.
Though, even without overdrive, ghosting is nowhere as bad as it used to be. My father had a laptop in the late 90s where moving the mouse around was like playing snake.
That's not really accurate, while the FPGA is a lot more customizable, once you know exactly how much customization you need, you can design an ASIC around those requirements. The more likely reason for continued FPGA use is that Nvidia isn't done adding capability to the g-sync module, so they don't know exactly what kind of ASIC they need to build.
Have you compared the display controller ASICs for the various freesync monitors and that laptop? I'm curious if one vendor made it into all of these displays, or if multiple vendors are having the same problems. It could have implications on when and how the ghosting problem gets fixed.
What's your point about dual gpu? It won't help you with freesync right now.It doesn't really make sense if you're talking about g-sync either, because that implementation is a lot more mature. There are improvements to make still, but it's difficult problems, like combining low persistence with variable refresh. Sure, Nvidia could implement g-sync in ASIC to get their costs down, but why not take advantage of the flexibility of the FPGA while you still can, and do rapid...
Seriously people, can we stop talking about PR slides? The hardware and drivers are more important.
There are a couple answers here. In theory it's possible, in practice it will probably get fixed in some future revision of each monitor.
HDCP is DRM, locking a platform down so that only pre-authorized software will run on it is DRM. Closed source drivers are not DRM. Single source hardware is not DRM.If there is a handshake that makes sure both the GPU and display support a feature, that's not DRM. If that handshake is encrypted or deliberately obfuscated to prevent other parties from duplicating it, that would be DRM. As far as I can tell, nobody has looked at the handshake to test that, yet people still...
Hey, did that asus laptop with the g-sync alpha drivers have the same ghosting issues in VRR mode?
I never said they were selling g-sync modules at a loss, just that they don't have to be a NPO to do so.