Posts by airisom2

Well, it's really different strokes for different folks. I used to preach the awesomeness of 120Hz+ monitors and I said that I would never go to anything below 120Hz, and here I am with a 60Hz monitor again The bottom line is that you will get used to whichever monitor you use, be it 144Hz, 60Hz, 4K, TN, IPS, 24", 27", 55"etc. Adaptive refresh technologies can help sway your decision, but in the end, you need to choose a monitor that will make the time you spend on your...
And it clearly works. Having close to 35000 drives with only 2.66% failure rates in such a high intensity environment says a lot about these 4TB desktop drives, even if they aren't being used in environments they weren't designed for. If they were so inferior, the numbers wouldn't look so great for that drive. I used to not like referencing BB's reliability results, but I believe it's wrong to discredit their results based on their practices and the environments they use...
I'd go with the 4TB Seagate. I've been slowly adding more over the span of around 3 years (now at 5), and I've never had any problems out of any of them. If they were unreliable, BackBlaze wouldn't be using nearly 35,000 of them. I believe it is a very reliable hard drive. SG's RMA procedure is great too. Unlike WD, which you have to create an account and register your drives, all you need is a S/N, and whether or not you want to pay extra for expedited shipping (also...
The 280 might perform really close to the 360 while having better case compatibility. The 360 uses a PE rad with a 45mm shroud (PE rads are 38mm thick), and this one uses the CE 45mm 280 rad. That would put the volume slightly above the 360 (1.76L vs 1.64L). The liquid capacity is also higher (~290mL vs ~200mL). The 360 would balance things out or perform better with the extra static pressure the third fan offers, but the lack of a third fan could also make things slightly...
Not sure what temps you're comfortable with, but here's a list that could work. If you keep the volts under 1.35-ish and don't run LinX/P95/IBT: Recommended: EK Predator 360 Swiftech H320 X2 Prestige Recommended with modifications: Fans recommended: http://www.overclock.net/t/1558892/for-sale-delta-afb1212she-pwm-12v-fans-120x38mm-new/0_100 Noctua IPPC 3000rpm 120/140mm Thermalright TY-143 D15/S Cryorig R1 PH-TC14PE U14S TRUE 140 Power HR-22 Le Grande Macho Run of the...
Whoa. It slightly beats out the 6900K in blender. That's really impressive. If we can get 4.5Ghz average overclocks out of this and prices it like Intel's mainstream chips (or even between 6700K and 6850K), they have a winner in their hands. On the other hand, it releases in 2017. AMD may have some trouble if Intel pulls another Sandy Bridge.
Ah, for some reason I thought that because the card supported HDMI 2.0, you would be able to get 120Hz through HDMI. My bad. The monitor only has 1.4a or thereabouts, so you will only be able to get 60Hz out of it using an HDMI cable. But yes, you'll need an active DP to DVI-D Dual Link adapter to get it to work right. Most of the passive adapters and cables have dual link pins, but only support single link electronically. Unfortunately, they range from around $70 to over...
Have you tried using an HDMI cable? You should be able to get 120Hz with that.
Nano crystal is Samsung's way of saying quantum dot. Both technologies have one goal: a cost effective way of getting a wider color gamut. Unfortunately, not a lot of mainstream media benefits from a wide color gamut (over saturated colors). Professional color work and the few movies and videos that support 10bit or higher color depths will benefit from qd technology. As it stands now, quantum dot/nano crystal acts as a filter between the backlight and LCD panel. The tvs...
I wouldn't worry too much about HDR. It's an emerging technology, and very few media supports it so far, much like what 4k is now but within an even smaller niche. 4k support is growing pretty well, however. You cannot have an HDR screen and expect everything to benefit from the increased dynamic range. Its like playing an 8bit video on a 10bit screen. You will have 8bit colors and gradients although you are on a 10bit screen. HDR media has an extra bit that is dedicated...