Posts by airisom2

I can picture some crazy doctor looking at a fluid bag wondering if you can raise a baby in one. LETS TRY IT ON LAMBS.
Purchase the 1080 kit and only use the CLC. The CLC is exactly the same on both products, and the shroud isn't needed. They went up about 10 bucks in the past couple weeks, but it's still cheaper than the 1080Ti kit, and you can buy it now. Someone recommended me do the same and Im glad I did.
Well, I took off the Conductonaut. I tested it (gave it a good tap) to see if it would stay in place in case something happened while it was in the case, and...it slid off. Definitely not safe. The next time I do this, I'll use a small copper wire strand and some hot glue to keep it in place. That should be a realistic permanent way to do it. The hot glue will seal it and keep it from moving around, and it's easily removable when you want to revert to stock, since it will...
Here's a pic of my shunt mod (Conductonaut). Was pegging 120% in Superposition 4k, now it doesn't go above 100% (hovers around 83% in Heaven extreme 1440p). I'd say this is the perfect application amount. I was getting like 35% at the beginning (wouldn't boost at all). Then all of a sudden the power limit went up. Maybe the liquid metal lost contact with one of the shunts (I'm thinking it's the one closest to the pcie power), I'll see when I take it apart again to see...
For those running the EVGA Hybrid cooler on this card, it might be in your best interest to pick up some better fans. Previously, I was using the stock fan with Noctua's L.N.A resistor. While it brought the noise down considerably on idle, on load the fan was still pretty loud, and the ball bearings did not sound good at all. The temps didn't go beyond 60C with that setup. Now that I've installed 2x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 (1450rpm non-PWM version), on the rad, controlled...
Alright, so you have a blu-ray player hooked up to your monitor via hdmi? You're getting the audio through your monitors, but you want them going through your speakers? The easiest way to do that is to split the audio from the hdmi. I do it with my Wii U with this adapter. I use the toslink out into my DAC, which then goes to my speakers through rca. There is also an analog audio out on it, but it is a line-out, not a headphone-out. That means you will either need...
20/8=2.5W per 1GB IC Est.But yeah, that was the article. GDDR5X and 6 might run at the same voltage, but maybe is pulls less amps? Maybe one of the authors at Anand will enlighten us soon
50W? Sounds pretty high. I don't think a 290X with its 16 ICs pulled that much. I think an Anandtech article I read some time ago estimated its power consumption at around 30W. What we do know is that GDDR5 ran at 1.5v. GDDR5X runs at 1.35v. The article says that GDDR6 will run at a 10% lower voltage than GDDR5, so that's 1.35v. We're basically getting more performance at the same-ish power consumption as GDDR5X.
For me it wouldn't work out well. Fan curves work because they scale from a reference point like temperature. When you detach a gpu fan and try to set a foreign curve on it, it becomes a challenge because you will have to use another point of reference to set the curve. If I used my cpu temps, the fan wouldn't go beyond, say 500rpm, because the cpu cooler performs pretty well. That would cause high gpu temps when gaming. I cannot use case temps because they're really good...
Lots of reasons why that won't work, but ultimately I would have replaced the fan anyway. The bearings are just too noisy and the fan design is not optimal for rads.The LNA adapter is actually working much better than I thought. It is much quieter than stock, and still allows the fan to ramp up when connected to the graphics card header. However, it still idles too high, which I don't like. The ULNA adaptor gives me the idle I want, but load temperatures go beyond 74C with...