Posts by airisom2

Well guys, I finally got around to overclocking my 980 Ti Golden Edition, and I can pull off 1493/1980 on stock volts and power/temp limit. Guess it's a decent clocker considering the extra headroom I have available. It also gave me an ~11fps increase over stock clock speeds (92.7 vs 104 Valley Extreme HD). Unfortunately, the card is running at around 78-80C at 77-79% fan speeds, so the cooler is limiting further overclocking. Maybe I'll take off the shroud and ziptie some...
Ah, I see what you mean. I wasn't really giving exact numbers (hence the ~), but I didn't think about QC variances from rad to rad. The same can also be said about the fans, though. Some fans spin a bit faster than others although they are the same model, and that can slightly change airflow and noise performance. So, I guess comparing different units can be difficult, and if you start playing with, say 3% margins, then the performance deltas start to blur a bit from unit...
Could you explain how? The reviews I linked use the Swiftech QP 120/140mm rads which are both 12fpi and 34mm thick. Although the 140 is more rad, you also have more fan. Am I missing something here?
Maybe [[SPOILER]] F2-140: ~400FPM | ~44dBAF3-120: ~280FPM | ~47dBA
Looks like you're right. Found some graphs and the F2 140s move more air through a 140x34mm swiftech rad while being quieter than the F3 120 blowing air through a swiftech 120x34mm rad. Considering the 280 uses a CE core (thicker than PE), this should put the 280's temps close to the 360 while having lower noise.
I don't see a 60€ discount, but the 360 and 240 qdc are $20 cheaper. The 240 non-qdc is $40 cheaper, however. I wonder why EK decided to go with 1600rpm fans on the 140/280 rads? I would have liked to see the F3s on there.
Rosewill Rise + EK Predator 280 here I come!
Not two? Great deal, though. Just wish it lasted until they had some more 3D printers in stock. Maybe another time.
It is kind of odd that it smells like that, though. I had PCS+ 290Xs in crossfire and never had a bad smell. I had bad bearings after a year, but no plastic smells whatsoever. I'm thinking that if it is a fan issue, you could run the fans at 100% while the card is idling. If you smell it, then it's likely the fans. If it only occurs when there is a load on the card, then something on the PCB is causing it. The main plastic parts on the card are the fans and the PCB....
Quite the harsh feedback guys...geez. I, for one, kinda like the looks of the Carbide 740. I think it looks better than the 540, and it's internal design gives a lot of room to accommodate many rig types (I"m thinking EK Predator 280 at the top, two hybrid graphics cards with the rads mounted on the bottom and 3 120s up front). I also don't see the hate for the influx of RGB products. We didn't have these products a couple years ago. There is a market for them. If you...