Posts by doyll

No problem mate. Arc Midi R2 is a good case. I don't understand why you are getting both the PWM splitter and the Phanteks PWM controlled 3-pin fan hub. Arc Midi should cool better than my Define R2. It is modified to use 140mm fans an I use TY-140 modified fans cut to 140x140mm. Same fan as TY-147. Here I get them for less than 6 quid and they perform as good as NF-A15 fans. TY-141 has same speca as TY-140/147.
I suspect you have far more air moving then needed to keep case cool. I run a Define R2 with only 3x 140mm intake fans and temps inside of case are never more then 2-3c warmer than room. If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at the 2nd link in my sig about case airflow and component cooling. Here is what temps do when I stress system.No idea why Prime95 took longer or why it cooled of as run progressed. Room remained same temp. You said you had 154mm...
It will work, but I would tie the groups of cables to avoid wire flexing too much going into the connectors. I've had them metal fatigue and break off. I prefer the Gelid style. myself. http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=2&cid=11&id=63&tab=1
I assume you mean the PH-TC14PE? It is 140mm wide so 70mm center CPU to PCI-e side of cooler.Might look around at the X99 mobos. Pretty sure Gigabyte X99-UD4 is at least 72mm center CPU to side of PCI-e socket .. and Asus X99 Deluxe is about 78mm.Too bad the X99 mobo doesn't have room. TRUIE Spirit 140 variants are very wide at 155mm wide (77.5mm center CPU to side of cooler). Cryorig R1s are 140mm (70mm center CPU to side of cooler). Silver Arrow IB-E is 155mm...
Remove the side fan and get a TRIUE Spirit 140 Power. 154mm + 25mm for fan gives you 176mm I would avoid CLCs, and only a couple AIOs are any good. Top air is cheaper, quieter, as cool or cooler and lasts many times longer. Only thing to fail on air coolers the fan .. and system still works even without a fan if it's a good cooler. Replacing a fan is no big deal. Can use a case fan while gettng a replacement. But if CLC pump goes you have no cooling .. and pumps...
The PWM splitter is powered by PSU directly. Motherboard only uses RPM on pin -3 and sends PWM signal from pin-4. They come in 2, 3, 4, 5 fan versions and Swiftech hub is 8 fan. You could build your own if you wanted.Yes, 4.8w is a rather powerful fan, but there are higher powered. I wouldn't run more then two of them on a motherboard header without having them PSU powered..
Good news. Thanks for the update. Please keep good records of stress testing cooler you have now and replacement so we can see if it does make any difference.
You might fine the first two links in my sig of interest. First is automatic control using PWM and second is case airflow and cooling.
Fans have to be almost worthless for push / pull to make much of a difference in performance .. or what they are pushing / pulling through is very restrictive. Most applications only gain 1-3c by going push / pull over single fan, even on twin towers .. and the faster the fans spin the less a 2nd fan helps performance. Edit: Good explanation of push / pull Luke.
The cost of a PWM splitter with PSU power connection for 4-8 fans is $4-12.00 .. a small fraction of what a fan controller using PWM to voltage control. Only one I know of that is reasonable priced is Phanteks PWM controlled fan hub and many have problems getting it to work properly. Most often user error or motherboards not having real PWM signal control.I would love an AC controller, but it's more money then I can justify.Both have their good and bad. points. I can...