Posts by Dt_Freak1

I'll wait and see then. I let the online reservation go back out to the floor. I used to be an nvidia guy but amds r9 290x is so good I switched. I never really saw a performance difference with physx and the 290x still benchmarks strong. If nvidia ups their game I might switch back but the 970s performance with vram issues led me to jump to amd
Op, did you revert you graphics card to stock to see if the driver issue is taken care of? it sounds like its any combination of video card being too far overclocked possibly borked and overworking your psu. if you are going with a new psu id go with the cooler master 1200 watt platinum psu. should snug that issue up...
id really lean towards motherboard. you can try a new board and see for sure, the fact that it does post but needs a lot of volts makes me say hardware for sure.
yea, remember to be careful when inserting a cpu into a socket.
my guess is its the motherboard. unless you overheated the cpu with all the overclocking id swap the board to see if it acts better, but if your upgrading and are going to sell off components then don't bother.
your friend left you a pretty decent rig, the only thing I can think is a problem is the msi motherboard. weak power phasing for an 8 core processor. if you aren't going to overclock it will probably be ok to run at stock settings. if you wish to change the motherboard and don't want to break your bank account the gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 r5 is a great motherboard for a great price with 8+2 power phasing. great temps too. or the asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 is also good without...
looks likes hes running an h105 liquid cooler, saberkitty appears to be 990fx r2.0. did it do this before the bios flash?
My current r9 290x holds its own very well but I'm tempted by a sweetheart of a deal. The local microcenter has an open box xfx Radeon r9 390x double d cooler for $335.xx plus tax. My current card is still under warranty with gigabyte and microcenter as I bought the 2 year warranty at microcenter when I made the purchase. My cost for the card was $262.xx plus tax and the warranty so I can safely count on basically $300ish coming back from the 290x and I have a $100 visa...
im skipping win 10. I tried it for a month, and got to hating it so much that I purposely reformatted and went back to windows 7. to add insult to injury after reimaging, MS shoved that crap right back down my throat by reinstalling that kb3035583 update that brought the gwx crap on my windows 7 pro reimage. that time I switched updates to required updates only. and then funny 2 months later ended up getting all my browsers hijacked(I failed I admit it), and this time...
just to update, I ended up reformatting the laptop a second time with a win 7 home premium sp1 disc and it still fights windows updates like no tomorrow. I think this laptop of my customer is jinxed. running hardware tests right now. memtest86+ finds errors in the ram. small wonder it acted better with different ram