Posts by zokus

That kind of looks like someone was trying to true the surface of the heatsink.......using gravel.
My wife had PRK done, as she is terrified of eyeballs for some reason so she refuses to put contacts in. It was rough for her at first, but she doesn't regret it. I can't justify the cost for myself though. With the monthlies, not being able to see well doesn't even occur to me most of the time. Right up until I lose one because I rubbed my eyes while driving or something, and then can't see a damn thing! I always keep a spare and a alcohol pad in my wallet for just...
It really depends on you. Some people do well with contacts, some people don't. I personally use the Air Optics Night and Day Monthlies, although I don't use them 'properly' as I only take them out/swap them out every 3-4 months. Most people I've met in the last 10 - 15 years or so don't know I wear them.
Possibly, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of purchasing a different motherboard, and/or trying to RMA the one I have at this time. If it happens a third time I will re-evaluate.
I happen to be suffering from this issue currently. First CPU (6800k) was OC'd to 4.4Ghz @ 1.35V on a custom WC loop. System was stable, temperatures were nice and low, and the CPU randomly fried while idling at the desktop. (Windows 10) This failure came less than 2 weeks after installation. I purchased a second CPU while I waited for the RMA process to go through, and again OC'd it to 4.4Ghz, but this time @ 1.3V. Rest of the system stayed the same. This CPU...
Well, so far this latest CPU is only stable at 4.2Ghz at 1.3V. Not as good as the last two, but maybe I can trade some longevity for the extra .2. That is unless it's my motherboard that is killing them.....
Well this sucks, CPU #2 just died. Was just getting started on a CAD drawing and pop, she shut down hard and wouldn't post. No signs of instability or anything, just blinked out like the last one. I popped in the RMA replacement I had sitting here and it fired back up.
Actually, the downside to this story (or maybe it is an upside, not sure yet) is that I had purchased a second 6800k because I thought the RMA process was going to be much more difficult. So now I have a spare. But yes, I have OC'd the replacement I bought. It has been sitting nice and stable on 4.4Ghz @ 1.3V. Which is better than the one that died (also 4.4, but at 1.35V)
... but it wasn't. In fact, quite the opposite. I recently had a i7 6800k die on me, for reasons unknown. Possibly from me pushing it too far looking for a stable overclock, or maybe my ASUS x99 based motherboard over-volted it on startup, or perhaps something else entirely. In any case, I submitted a RMA ticket with Intel, to which I received a response the next day. One more day after that I had a RMA number in hand, and shipped off the dead CPU via Fedex (my first...
It is a pain in the ass, but you could drain your system and pull the CPU and check that there are no bent or damaged pins on the motherboard socket. Seems odd that all of your RAM would have died, unless you're a particularly shocking individual (statically, I mean).