Posts by TitusPrime

This happens all the time, retailers sell OEM parts and then try to hang the buyer out to dry with an unenforceable warranty. This is not an AMD retail warranty; i don't care what Newegg have written on their site it is wrong......just like it's been wrong on HDDs for all these years.Any CPU not cooled properly at volts on the upper end of what they are designed for will fail quickly so i don't see the reason or the point for that statement unless you were trying to...
This is standard fare for retailers making a fast buck out of selling OEM parts in places they shouldn't be.Do you really expect expensive system builders to offer a 30 day warranty?Newegg know people will be pushing these things to within an inch of their life and don't want to take the hit for it.I'll be taking my 8350 up to 1.525v (with some extra fans!) and see what happens, AMD clearly think the architecture and technology can take it and they are now removing the...
This, completely.Anyone who's really tried to stretch an FX's legs can tell you that even the pretty good CL coolers (e.g. Antec 920) can't handle it and only the best air coolers with multiple fans can even start to cut it. I know this as i had to spend money finding it out. Anything less and it's always going to be failure.Couple that with not knowing how to set the motherboards up to get a decent overclock (settings left at stock - when has any serious overclocker EVER...
Go and look at the AMD motherboards section for proof. Gigabyte had come out with a Rev3 for all of their 990FX boards to stop the ludicrously high failure rates with the FX range because they got the VRM section design wrong.....just plain wrong.My 990FX-UD5 is currently sat in my server on a stock Phenom because i couldn't trust it with my 8350....the LLC is so bad it's laughable for what is supposed to be the second best board in the range. HUGE overshoot and undershoot...
This is a pretty poor review. The 990FX-UD5 is a terrible board and can't keep a Phenom voltage under control nevermind a 220w FX. Not only did they pile on even when the chip wasn't correctly recognised as a 4.7GHz stock chip they then 'mentioned' throttling of the CPU under load when based on my experience of this board (same rev and 6 month old bios) the board will throttle due to VRM capacity before my 8350 does and the LLC is so bad the voltage pumped into the CPU...
Sabertooth all the way. Have had both. There's another thread further down the page where i've written quite a bit and i'll not bother repeating it here.
charlesquik I've had four of these 990FX boards and am currently with the CHV-F. The Gigabyte UD3 is a cheap board masquerading as a mid-high overclocker's board. Yes it has a very good layout and yes it has a nice colour-scheme and yes Gigabyte are very good with their bios updates......all the reasons why i bought one. Unfortunately when you hold one in your hands it instantly becomes obvious that they've cheaped out on the component spec. The voltage are all over the...
I've personally been through more than two of these and i've NEVER found it to be good thing when cuts are of this magnitude. When a company has a couple (or even a few) of these in succession then it is doomed. This is a dying breath of AMD in it's current form.What we have here are money-men making the bottom line look good by cutting 'cost' our of the company. We'll see incompetent management stay while 'at the coal face' workers go. This leads companies into a death...
I had this issue as well on one out of three of my AMD machines and an OS re-install fixed it. The other two took the driver update no problem.Must have been some software incompatibility one one of my machines. The other two upgraded ok so based on this i put it down to something incompatible on the one that didn't like the driver update.These were a mixture of 750, 850 and 950 southbridges.The machine that wouldn't even boot was a 750SB with a corsair R60 (JMicron) where...
Me too. Unlocked to x6 and OC to 4.2GHz and all is well.