Posts by SpankyMcFlych

So a university funded researcher discovered and patented this. I wonder how soon before it's owned by some rich guy through a corporate stooge.
Netflix canada isn't worth using due to lack of timely content so meh I guess. Small market that doesn't matter gets screwed. On the flip side small market that doesn't matter also doesn't get targeted by the armies of copyright lawyers.
People have been innovating for millions of years without patents to encourage them.
Patents are a tool used by rich people to stifle innovation and bludgeon competition into submission. They are as uncapitalist an idea as there is and yet everyone defends them like they're some sacred cow. Patents as they are now should be completely abolished. At one point patents may have been a force for good. A tool to ensure that creators can profit from their creation. But that time is long past. Inventors and individual people don't make money off patents any...
le sigh Again. Autonomous vehicles only need to be better then humans, not infallible. If 99.9% of accidents are caused by humans and 0.1% by autonomous vehicles that's the way the insurance costs will split. And I agree, eventually they will be so safe that there will be no need for insurance. Or insurance will be so low that it will be a token payment included in the cost of the car itself, or the car manufacturer will buy bulk insurance to cover entire car makes and...
I would like to point out that growing insurance premiums forcing human drivers off the roads isn't a plot by anti car people out to steal your freedoms. It's simple basic economics. You will have to bear the entire risk associated with being a human driver in a sea of autonomous vehicles because it is YOUR risk. The people in autonomous cars are fully justified in demanding that their insurance premiums shrink drastically in accordance with the risk reduction associated...
I would imagine motorcyclists would be overjoyed to see autonomous cars take over. Would be far safer to be a motorcyclist sharing the road with robots vs with other humans in cars. But eventually when autonomous uptake reaches the point where they're thinking of removing traffic lights and lanes and speed limits motorcyclists will have to go too.
In all those situations an autonomous vehicle can be built to outperform humans. And again, to repeat the point again, because it doesn't seem to be getting through, again. Autonomous vehicles only need to be better then humans, they don't need to be perfect. And they will in fact not be perfect as this tesla fatality shows (forgetting it wasn't an autonomous vehicle, the same situation could have resulted with one), there will be incidents and accidents and fatalities...
Self driving bans won't happen any time soon. Economics will drive adoption until economics forces people out of the driver seat altogether. By the time the only drivers left are the ultra rich because they're the only ones who will be able to afford the insurance, that is when the people will legislate an actual driving ban. So the "muh freedom!" people don't need to worry. Nobody is going to force you to give up your car. You will give it up voluntarily once you're...
Personally I want the freedom of napping or reading or watching a movie while being driven somewhere. Driving is a colossal waste of time. I also want the freedom of not having someone run into me because they're freaking morons who aren't paying attention and are horrible horrible drivers. In the last 5 years I've had someone change lanes into the side of me and another person rear end me while rubbernecking passing an accident. The general populace is too stupid to be...