Posts by SpankyMcFlych

Piracy doesn't equal theft and it never will.
Gotta keep the prison industrial complex running somehow and with the writing on the wall for the failed war on the drugs they're going to need a new way to criminalize large portions of the poor class. I guess throwing people in jail for piracy is as good a way as any.
Ultimately modern currencies rest on the faith of the people using them (the same as bitcoin). Being backed by banks is ultimately a detriment for the dollar vs the bitcoin as witnessed by what they've done in the last 15 years. And the govt is just a proxy for the people.
You just described most modern currencies.
Yeah, as someone said mass extinctions aren't 100% kills, the dinosaur extinction at the end of the cretaceous (the meteor) was a 75% extinction. And considering humanity is the most invasive and hardy species known I think we'd probably be part of the surviving portion of any extinction event.It would be cool to be able to encode all human knowledge into a dna strand and then insert it into humans. If there was a mass extinction or population crash with a resulting loss...
None of this sort of thing will change until (don't hold your breath) politicians give legal ownership of little data back to people and regulate the corporations. Whining about it is just spitting in the wind. Going all "boo occulus, ya vive" is being willfully blind because I guarantee the vive and the ps4 version whatever it's called are both harvesting every bit of user data they can possibly get away with as well. We're now in the age where the corps see us as...
There must be limits though yes? I mean I'm making an assumption, but even with regional power it's a lot more expensive to make long distance power lines, and where I live we have a lot of regional power plants scattered across the province instead of one central power generating area. I think it would be great for solar if it was feasible since you could power the dark side of the planet with solar from the light. It's just I can't envision a power cable from china to...
No real details there. Right now it is inefficient to move power over long distances, though I think you can get around this by upping the volts (or amps, or giggawats or whatever, I'm no electrician) somewhat. But even then there are probably limits. So I don't really see any benefit to linking continents together, just regions. And regionally canada and the US are already pretty well linked together for power. Not sure if mexico is or not, though that could be a...
It's not our job to figure out how these businesses can make money. But with advertising they have poison the well. If they hadn't gone nuclear with the advertising the vast majority of people would have never bother installing adblockers and whatnot. They wouldn't have gained anywhere near the usage they have today if not for the abusive advertising in the first place. But now that they have nobody who has started using adblockers is going to stop, even if the websites...
I disagree with this statement. People scream bloody murder about poor optimization a lot yeah, but generally I only see it in regards to games that don't deliver graphics that push any boundaries and yet still run poorly. Games that have graphics that don't compare to older games (even crisis) but still deliver worse framerates then other more graphically detailed and intense games.